- 02 Nov 21
The annual awards ceremony is set to return to Vicar Street later this month.
The shortlist for the 2021 RTÉ Radio 1 Folk Awards has been revealed – featuring nominations for John Francis Flynn, Ye Vagabonds, Mick Flannery, Susan O'Neill, Joshua Burnside, Laura Quirke, Declan O'Rourke, Emma Langford, Moxie, Villagers, Saint Sister, Dani Larkin and more.
Following last year's virtual ceremony, the 2021 awards will be presented at a live event in Vicar Street, Dublin on Tuesday, November 16, hosted by presenters John Creedon and Ruth Smith. The night will also feature performances from a selection of Irish folk artists.
Steve Cooney was the big winner at last year's ceremony, taking home four awards on the night.
See the shortlist for the RTÉ Radio 1 Folk Awards below:
Best Original Folk Track
- Almost – Susan O'Neill
- Bread and Wine – Adrian Crowley
- Chain Reaction – Mick Flannery and Susan O’Neill
- Patsy Cline – Jack O’Rourke
- Taking the Wheel – Joshua Burnside and Laura Quirke
Best Traditional Folk Track
- An Bhuatais – Lorcan MacMathúna
- Cúirt Bhaile Nua - Eoghan Ó Ceannabháin & Ultan O'Brien
- Easter Snow / Sally Gally – Ryan Molloy and Padraig McGovern
- I’m a Rover – Ye Vagabonds
- My Son Tim – John Francis Fynn
- Peggy Gordon – Lisa O’Neill and Colm Mac Con Iomaire
Best Folk Singer
Best Folk Instrumentalist
- Brian Finnegan
- Martin Hayes
- Ryan Molloy
- Caoimhin O’Fearghaill
- Alannah Thornburgh
Best Folk Group
Best Folk Album
- I Would Not Live Always - John Francis Flynn
- They’re Calling Me Home - Rhiannon Giddens and Francesca Turrisi
- In the Game - Mick Flannery and Susan
- Solas an Lae - Eoghan O’Ceannabháin and Ultan O’Brien
- Where I Should End - Saint Sister
Best Emerging Artist
- John Francis Flynn
- Dani Larkin
- Eoghan O’Ceannabháin and Ultan O’Brien
- Alannah Thornburgh
Tickets for the 2021 Irish Folk Awards ceremony in Vicar Street, on Tuesday 16th November, are available from Ticketmaster now. You can also listen in live via RTÉ Radio 1 at 8 pm, with a television highlights programme on RTÉ One on Saturday 20th November.