- 30 Aug 20
As part of our nightly YouTube series celebrating Van Morrison's 75th birthday, David Lyttle feat. Liam Neeson perform 'On Hyndford Street', and David shares his reflections on Van's music.
Co. Down-born drummer and composer David Lyttle has forged a reputation as one of the country’s most respected jazz musicians – performing in over 30 countries, collaborating with some of the legends of the genre, and earning a MOBO Award nomination. He collaborates on his cover of ‘On Hyndford Street’ with Oscar, BAFTA and Golden Globe-nominated actor Liam Neeson.
* * * * *
"I’m a jazz musician, and in the past I’ve done some sideline projects that have crossed over into hip-hop. I’m not a singer – I’m primarily a drummer, but I compose, and I play some other instruments. So when I was asked to make a contribution to ‘Rave On, Van Morrison’, I instantly thought of doing one of his spoken word pieces. I wanted to do something where I could reimagine the music – using the lyrics to inspire that. I also knew I had to find someone who could bring a different dimension to the lyrics, so I thought of Liam Neeson, because he’s a fan of Van’s too."
Read more in the new Van Morrison Special Issue of Hot Press, and watch David Lyttle feat. Liam Neeson perform 'On Hyndford Street' below:
See the schedule for the upcoming performances on 'Rave On, Van Morrison' below:
- Sun Aug 30 David Lyttle feat. Liam Neeson On Hyndford Street (7pm); Paul Brady Cry For Home (8pm)
Plus – an action-packed programme for Van's Big Day on Monday, August 31:
• President Michael D. Higgins with Bill Whelan – ‘Rave On, John Donne’ (7pm)
• Bob Geldof – ‘I'm Tired Joey Boy’ (7.15pm)
• Moya Brennan (Clannad) – ‘The Beauty Of The Days Gone By’ (7.30pm)
• Paul Casey & Friends feat. Terri Hooley – ‘In The Days Before Rock ’n’ Roll’ (7.45pm)
• Brian Kennedy – ‘Days Like This’ (8pm)
• Mary Coughlan – ‘Warm Love’ (8.15pm)
• John Spillane – ‘Cleaning Windows’ (8.30pm)
• Altan – ‘Whenever God Shines His Light’ (8.45pm)
• Malaki – ‘Someone Like You’ (9pm)
• Glen Hansard – ‘Astral Weeks’ (9.15pm)
• Hozier – ‘Caravan’ (9.30pm)
Hot Press is also publishing a Van Morrison Special Issue, to coincide with ‘Rave On, Van Morrison’, featuring written contributions from the legendary likes of Sinéad O'Connor, Gary Lightbody, Tim Wheeler, Una Healy and David Keenan – who reflect on Van's music and influence. The issue will also look back at five decades of landmark Hot Press interviews with Van, in which he discusses everything from Ray Charles and his other musical heroes, to the inspiration behind the seminal Astral Weeks. Plus, you can expect exclusive photos from the archives, ten ways Van has changed the world, and much more. This historic publication is set to be a must-have for Van Morrison fans all over the world, and is available to pre-order now.