- 31 Aug 20
As part of our celebrations for Van Morrison's 75th birthday, Altan perform 'Whenever God Shines His Light', and share their reflections on Van's music.
Few Irish traditional bands in the last twenty years have made an impact on global audiences quite like Altan. Formed in Donegal in 1987, the group have sold over a millon records throughout their career, and have collaborated with the likes of Dolly Parton, The Chieftains, Bonnie Raitt and many more.
* * * * *
"Van Morrison, like all good poets, has a true spiritual message in his work. I feel that this song, ‘Whenever God Shines His Light’, has hope and light – just what the world needs right now during this Covid-19 pandemic."
Read more in the new Van Morrison Special Issue of Hot Press, and watch Altan perform 'Whenever God Shines His Light' below:
See the action-packed programme for Van's Big Day on Monday, August 31, below:
• President Michael D. Higgins with Bill Whelan – ‘Rave On, John Donne’ (7pm)
• Bob Geldof – ‘I'm Tired Joey Boy’ (7.15pm)
• Moya Brennan (Clannad) – ‘The Beauty Of The Days Gone By’ (7.30pm)
• Paul Casey & Friends feat. Terri Hooley – ‘In The Days Before Rock ’n’ Roll’ (7.45pm)
• Brian Kennedy – ‘Days Like This’ (8pm)
• Mary Coughlan – ‘Warm Love’ (8.15pm)
• John Spillane – ‘Cleaning Windows’ (8.30pm)
• Altan – ‘Whenever God Shines His Light’ (8.45pm)
• Malaki – ‘Someone Like You’ (9pm)
• Glen Hansard – ‘Astral Weeks’ (9.15pm)
• Hozier – ‘Caravan’ (9.30pm)
Hot Press is also publishing a Van Morrison Special Issue, to coincide with ‘Rave On, Van Morrison’, featuring written contributions from the legendary likes of Hozier, Sinéad O’Connor, Gary Lightbody, Damien Rice, Imelda May and Damien Rice, as well as special homages from international artists Brandon Flowers, Steve Van Zandt and Matt Berninger. In addition, you'll find the highlights of our recent exclusive interview with Van – who discusses the Belfast he grew up in, ‘Gloria’, Jim Morrison, Lenny Bruce, the real inspiration for Astral Weeks and his extraordinary work as a songwriter.
This historic publication is a must-have for Van Morrison fans all over the world, and is available to order now.