- 27 Aug 20
Mary Stokes Band and Wyvern Lingo's performances for Van Morrison's 75th birthday celebration are going live tonight.
Following stunning performances for 'Rave On, Van Morrison' last night, we're bringing you another special evening of back-to-back Van covers – with Mary Stokes Band performing 'Roll With The Punches', followed by Wyvern Lingo performing 'Domino'.
Over the course of the YouTube event, celebrating Van Morrison's 75th birthday, you can expect even more renditions of his remarkable songs from some of the most iconic names in the country – including President Michael D. Higgins with Bill Whelan, Hozier, Sinéad O'Connor, Bob Geldof, and Glen Hansard , to name just a few.
Mary Stokes Band have left an indelible mark on Irish and international music – releasing over 10 albums over the course of their remarkable. Their 1997 debut Ten Years On The Road, a nod their legendary live profile, was a powerful statement of blues prowess. Among their highlights of 2019 was a lauded set at the iconic Cavern Club in Liverpool.
Bray trio Wyvern Lingo have established themselves as one of the country's most captivating, genre-blending acts. Earlier this year, they returned with 'Don't Say It' – their first new music since the release of their Choice Music Prize-nominated, self-titled debut album in 2018. The followed the success of their new track with charity single 'Brutal Lottery' – with all proceeds going to Missing Children Europe.
Mary Stokes Band's performance of 'Roll With The Punches' (7pm Irish Standard Time) and Wyvern Lingo's performance of 'Domino' (8pm) premiere tonight, August 27, on the Hot Press YouTube channel.
See the schedule for the upcoming performances on 'Rave On, Van Morrison' below:
- Thur Aug 27 Mary Stokes Band Roll With The Punches (7pm); Wyvern Lingo Domino (8pm)
- Fri Aug 28 Beoga Scandinavia (7pm); Reevah Ballerina (8pm)
- Sat Aug 29 Luka Bloom Madame George (7pm); Conor Marcus Rough God Goes Riding (8pm)
- Sun Aug 30 David Lyttle feat. Liam Neeson On Hyndford Street (7pm); Paul Brady Cry For Home (8pm)
Plus – an action-packed programme for Van's Big Day on Monday, August 31:
• President Michael D. Higgins with Bill Whelan – ‘Rave On, John Donne’ (7pm)
• Bob Geldof – ‘I'm Tired Joey Boy’ (7.15pm)
• Moya Brennan (Clannad) – ‘The Beauty Of The Days Gone By’ (7.30pm)
• Paul Casey & Friends feat. Terri Hooley – ‘In The Days Before Rock ’n’ Roll’ (7.45pm)
• Brian Kennedy – ‘Days Like This’ (8pm)
• Mary Coughlan – ‘Warm Love’ (8.15pm)
• John Spillane – ‘Cleaning Windows’ (8.30pm)
• Altan – ‘Whenever God Shines His Light’ (8.45pm)
• Malaki – ‘Someone Like You’ (9pm)
• Glen Hansard – ‘Astral Weeks’ (9.15pm)
• Hozier – ‘Caravan’ (9.30pm)
Hot Press is also publishing a Van Morrison Special Issue, to coincide with ‘Rave On, Van Morrison’, featuring written contributions from the legendary likes of Sinéad O'Connor, Gary Lightbody, Tim Wheeler, Una Healy and David Keenan – who reflect on Van's music and influence. The issue will also look back at five decades of landmark Hot Press interviews with Van, in which he discusses everything from Ray Charles and his other musical heroes, to the inspiration behind the seminal Astral Weeks. Plus, you can expect exclusive photos from the archives, ten ways Van has changed the world, and much more. This historic publication is set to be a must-have for Van Morrison fans all over the world, and is available to pre-order now.