- 26 Aug 20
As part of our nightly YouTube series celebrating Van Morrison's 75th birthday, Rosie Carney performs 'Gypsy Queen', and shares her reflections on Van's music and influence.
With the release of her acclaimed debut album, Bare, last year, acclaimed singer-songwriter Rosie Carney cemented her reputation as one of the most powerful voices in Irish music. Earlier this year, she returned with her new EP, i dreamed i was the night.
* * * * *
"His unique and raw voice and his ability to make such soulful and nostalgic music are what make him special. It’s just such great music that takes you away.
"‘Gypsy Queen’ is one of my favourite Van Morrison songs. I just love how soulful it is. It’s hard to not belt along with that chorus with a smile when it’s playing."
Read more in the upcoming Van Morrison Special Issue of Hot Press, and watch Rosie Carney perform 'Gypsy Queen' below:
See the schedule for the upcoming performances on 'Rave On, Van Morrison' below:
- Wed Aug 26 Rosie Carney Gypsy Queen (7pm); Whenyoung Irish Heartbeat (8pm)
- Thur Aug 27 Mary Stokes Band Roll With The Punches (7pm); Wyvern Lingo Domino (8pm)
- Fri Aug 28 Beoga Scandinavia (7pm); Reevah Ballerina (8pm)
- Sat Aug 29 Luka Bloom Madame George (7pm); Conor Marcus Rough God Goes Riding (8pm)
- Sun Aug 30 David Lyttle feat. Liam Neeson On Hyndford Street (7pm); Paul Brady Cry For Home (8pm)
Plus – an action-packed programme for Van's Big Day on Monday, August 31:
• President Michael D. Higgins with Bill Whelan – ‘Rave On, John Donne’ (7pm)
• Bob Geldof – ‘I'm Tired Joey Boy’ (7.15pm)
• Moya Brennan (Clannad) – ‘The Beauty Of The Days Gone By’ (7.30pm)
• Paul Casey & Friends feat. Terri Hooley – ‘In The Days Before Rock ’n’ Roll’ (7.45pm)
• Brian Kennedy – ‘Days Like This’ (8pm)
• Mary Coughlan – ‘Warm Love’ (8.15pm)
• John Spillane – ‘Cleaning Windows’ (8.30pm)
• Altan – ‘Whenever God Shines His Light’ (8.45pm)
• Malaki – ‘Someone Like You’ (9pm)
• Glen Hansard – ‘Astral Weeks’ (9.15pm)
• Hozier – ‘Caravan’ (9.30pm)
Hot Press is also publishing a Van Morrison Special Issue, to coincide with ‘Rave On, Van Morrison’, featuring written contributions from the legendary likes of Sinéad O'Connor, Gary Lightbody, Tim Wheeler, Una Healy and David Keenan – who reflect on Van's music and influence. The issue will also look back at five decades of landmark Hot Press interviews with Van, in which he discusses everything from Ray Charles and his other musical heroes, to the inspiration behind the seminal Astral Weeks. Plus, you can expect exclusive photos from the archives, ten ways Van has changed the world, and much more. This historic publication is set to be a must-have for Van Morrison fans all over the world, and is available to pre-order now.