- 02 Oct 18
Eoghan McDermott, Dr. Ciara Kelly, Lisa Hannigan, Stephanie Rainey, Emmet Kirwan, Wyvern Lingo and more having been lined up to participate in ‘Now We’re Talking’ The Town Hall Gathering, a very special event to be held at the Banqueting Hall, Smock Alley Theatre, Dublin on World Mental Health Day.
The event, which is being hosted by Lyons Tea, Pieta House and Hot Press will take place at the Smock Alley Theatre on October 10, from 7pm.
‘Now We’re Talking’ will be a Town Hall style event, with an in-depth discussion on mental health issues, along with a number of special performances.
“There was a time when secrecy, shame and guilt surrounded mental health issues in Ireland,” Hot Press editor Niall Stokes said. “In partnership with Lyons Tea and Pieta House, we want to do everything we can to change that old culture of suppression, and the loneliness which it creates for individuals and families affected by mental health problems. That is the purpose of ‘Now We’re Talking’ – an event at which experiences will be shared, ideas will be exchanged – and some of Ireland’s finest artists will aim to touch the heart and stir the emotions. I think it is going to be an extraordinary occasion.”
On the night, Hot Press Deputy Editor Stuart Clark will chair an in-depth panel discussion on mental health. Among those taking part will be Eoghan McDermott, well known presenter for RTE 2FM and Ambassador for Pieta House; Dr Ciara Kelly, GP, broadcaster and columnist; Brian Higgins, CEO of Pieta House, Dr Niall Crumlish, Consultant Psychiatrist at St. James's Hospital Dublin and Sene Naoupo, Irish International Rugby player.
Commenting on the campaign, Brian Higgins, CEO at Pieta House said, “We cannot afford to be passive in the fight against suicide and the fight against stigma. The Lyons Tea Now We’re Talking campaign gives everyone the opportunity to use their voice; reach out or to help others in times of crisis. Our 24/7 helpline 1800-247-247 is staffed by fully qualified counsellors and with over 240 psychotherapists, we’re still only reaching about 60% of the population. The ‘Now We’re Talking’ campaign helps us in our quest to reach out to the other 40% as well.”
“It’s a partnership we really value,” said Paul Kelly, Head of Marketing Refreshment at Unilever, “We know how effective tea can be as a means of starting a conversation, even the most difficult ones. That’s why for the past three years we’ve been committed to ending the stigma often attached to mental health issues in Ireland through our partnership with Pieta House. We have been working directly with Pieta House to drive awareness of the services they provide and start a bigger conversation. This year we’re excited about joining forces with Hot Press so that together with Pieta House we can help bring the dialogue on mental health in Ireland to a new level”.
The Town Hall Gathering will also feature performances by some prominent Irish musicians. Internationally acclaimed singer-songwriter Lisa Hannigan, talented R’n’B trio Wyvern Lingo, and breakthrough artist Stephanie Rainey are all scheduled to perform over the course of the evening. Actor, writer and star of the film Dublin Oldschool, Emmet Kirwan, will also join us on the night to perform.
Now We’re Talking: The Town Hall Gathering will take place on World Mental Health Day 2018.
Hot Press has this week launched a Mental Health Special Issue, with Kodaline on the front cover. Among the highlights in the issue is the '100 Irish Voices For Mental Health' supplement, published in partnership with Lyons Tea and Pieta House. In 100 Voices, 100 musicians, artists, film stars, politicians and writers open up about their own experiences with mental health issues.
Tickets for Now We’re Talking are free of charge, but must be booked in advance. Get your tickets by filling out your details below: