- 02 Mar 22
Rowan, Dani Larkin, Sky Atlas, Ali Comerford, Brake Loose, Mary Stokes, Dubh Lee, Joel Harkin, Molly O'Mahony and Cooks But We're Chefs all feature as part of the series.
On March 2, 1948, Irish guitar legend Rory Gallagher was born – and to celebrate his birthday, we're launching a brand new performance series, featuring some of the most exciting names in Irish music. The next instalment in the series goes live tonight at 7pm on the Hot Press YouTube channel.
As part of the series, each track from Rory Gallagher's iconic self-titled debut album will be covered by a different Irish artist or band – with versions of all ten tracks, from 'Laundromat' to 'Can't Believe It's True', going live every night over the next week-and-a-half.
Rory Gallagher (1971) features some of the Irish musician's most beloved songs, including 'I Fall Apart', which has clocked up over 7.6 million streams on Spotify alone. Recorded at the legendary Advision Studios in Fitzrovia, London, the album featured Rory on guitar and lead vocals as well as alto sax, harmonica and mandolin; Gerry McAvoy on bass; and Wilgar Campbell on drums. Atomic Rooster’s Vincent Crane plays piano on two songs on the album, 'Wave Myself Goodbye' and 'I’m Not Surprised'. The classic album celebrated its 50th anniversary last year, and was re-released as a special boxset.
Among the acts set to perform are The Mary Stokes Blues Band, whose 'as live' album Comin' Home won the Blues and Roots Radio Album of the Year for 2021.
Each performance goes live at 7pm each night on the Hot Press YouTube channel.
See the full line-up below:
- Wednesday, March 2 – Laundromat - Rowan (WATCH)
- Thursday, March 3 – Just the Smile - Dani Larkin (WATCH)
- Friday, March 4 – I Fall Apart - Sky Atlas (WATCH)
- Saturday, March 5 – Wave Myself Goodbye - Ali Comerford (WATCH)
- Sunday, March 6 – Hands Up - Brake Loose (WATCH)
- Monday, March 7 – Sinner Boy - Mary Stokes (WATCH)
- Tuesday, March 8 – For the Last Time - Dubh Lee (WATCH)
- Wednesday, March 9 – It's You - Joel Harkin (WATCH)
- Thursday, March 10 – I'm Not Surprised - Molly O'Mahony (WATCH)
- Friday, March 11 – Can't Believe It's True - Cooks But We're Chefs
In the meantime, listen to the 50th Anniversary edition of Rory Gallagher's debut album below: