- 06 Nov 17
Spanning 40 years and considered by aficionados as being one of the world’s greatest rock’n’roll magazines, Hot Press has captured Irish society and culture throughout the decades, and has gone on to become a piece of living history itself. Now, with the release of Covered In Glory: The Hot Press Covers Book, you can become part of that history.
Launched in 1977, this independent Irish magazine has been published every two weeks for over 40 years, building its reputation among musicians and readers alike as being one of the most highly regarded magazines.
In addition to its coverage of music, Hot Press is known for its commitment to freedom of expression, its radical politics and its pioneering work on the subject of sex and sexuality. It has blazed a trail which has been vital to the modernisation of Ireland.
Having included a picture of two men kissing in a collage on the very first cover of the magazine, Hot Press set out its commitment to championing the cause of gay rights in Ireland – culminating in the Same Sex Marriage Referendum which was passed in 2015.
HOT PRESS: THE FRONT COVERS
Every cover tells a story. The cover subject, their image and clothes, the design of the cover, the headlines, the typography, the style of the strap-lines and so on: taken together, all of these elements add up to a unique popular culture statement.
The magazine was originally launched in the midst of the punk/new wave explosion. Since then, many of the most important names in the history of music have appeared on the front cover of Hot Press. The magazine has also been crucial to the success of some hugely feted Irish artists of the modern era, from The Boomtown Rats and U2, through Enya, Sinéad O’Connor and The Cranberries, to modern superstars like Snow Patrol, Hozier and The Script.
As part of its 40th anniversary celebrations, and to look back on this incredible legacy, Hot Press showcased the Hot Press Covers Exhibition – a project which has taken almost two years and is still ongoing.
• The original covers have been lovingly hand-restored and beautifully printed, in large A2 format, on Museum Quality paper that will last hundreds of years – turning them into hugely attractive and very valuable objects d’art.
• In a wonderful gesture of support for the Hot Press mission, these gorgeous, exclusive prints have been signed by the artists themselves, in small batches, lending each cover a singular, once-in-a-lifetime, lasting value as limited edition art prints.
The Hot Press Covers Exhibition enjoyed a successful run in the National Photographic Archive – part of the National Library of Ireland – throughout the summer, where it attracted tens of thousands of visitors.
COVERED IN GLORY
Now, in response to public demand, the covers that featured in the exhibition are being gathered together into one of the most remarkable books ever made available to fans of music and of great journalism.
Covered In Glory: The Hot Press Covers Book will contain beautifully hand-restored prints of the covers, spanning 40 years.
The book, which will come in two formats, will tell the stories behind the covers themselves and give insights into the inner workings of a magazine, as well as insights into the artists, stars and celebrities that adorned the front pages over the years…
Covered In Glory will be a powerful record of 40 years of popular culture and music. For those who want to experience the history of Hot Press – and become part of it – we’re offering two beautiful editions of the covers book.
1. The Super De Luxe Platinum Edition– Price €285
This will be one of the most beautiful books ever published.
• It will be presented in a marvellous large-format edition of great design and production finesse
• It will run to 320 pages, gorgeously printed on specially chosen high quality paper
• It will have a hard-back cover and will be beautifully bound, varnished and finished
• It will contain a very special selection of copies of the original covers as signed by the artists
Among those who have signed covers and who will feature in the book are Madonna, Nick Cave, Van Morrison, Tom Waits, Enya, Snow Patrol, Noel Gallagher, Grace Jones, Sting, Blur, All Saints, Bjork, Paul Simon, Radiohead, PJ Harvey, REM, Patti Smith, The Waterboys, Muse, Kasabian, Hozier, Paul Weller, Pete Doherty – and far too many more to list in full here.
The book will also feature those very special covers dedicated to those we have loved and lost – including Rory Gallagher, Philip Lynott, John Lennon, David Bowie, Prince, Kurt Cobain, Elvis Presley, Bob Marley, Joe Strummer, Leonard Cohen, Freddy Mercury, George Michael and many more of the other greats, whose sad passing has left a huge void for fans of music all over the world. These carefully selected art pieces will include the covers of Hot Press’ special memorial issues…
Hot Press was strongly associated with U2 from the outset, putting the fledgling Dublin four-piece on the cover for the first time when they released their debut single, U23, all the way back in 1979. Since then, the band, and its members, have appeared on the cover in excess of 40 times. ALL of these 43 covers will appear in the Super de Luxe Platinum edition.
Platinum purchasers will also get:
• Those who pledge for this unique collectors’ item will have their names inscribed in a list of Executive Producers at the front of the book.
• This unique Limited Edition run of the book will be personally signed and authenticated by Hot Press founder and editor, Niall Stokes. No more than 1,000 copies will ever be printed and these books are sure to become valuable collectors’ items.
• The Super de Luxe Platinum edition comes with a three-year digital subscription to Hot Press, worth €210, at a once-off rate of €15 for the three years (price included above).
• In addition, pledgers receive an additional A4 poster print of an historic cover of their choice, also personally signed by Hot Press founder and editor, Niall Stokes.
Hot Press previously launched a Pledge Music campaign to publish the highly successful Super De Luxe edition of Philip Lynott: Still In Love With You. This 320-page book, which was published in 2014 and retailed at €330, received an overwhelmingly positive response, with fans praising its historical importance and production values.
“It is one of the most exquisitely beautiful books I have ever seen, in both presentation and production. Congratulations to the team who brought it to life. Delighted to have an opportunity to support its publication.” – Brendan Graham, Eurovision winner, novelist and writer ‘You Raise Me Up’
“The book is a remarkable achievement. It is honestly spectacular, truly a work of art. ” – Michael Hogan, New Communications Ireland
2. The Luxury Gold Format – Price €36
Running to 240+ pages, this fabulous edition of the book will appeal to every fan of the music that has stopped us in our tracks and made us jump for joy over the past four decades. It will contain 125+ specially selected front covers, as signed by the artists, with informative commentary by Hot Press editor Niall Stokes.
• The Gold edition comes with a one-year digital subscription to Hot Press, worth €70, at a once-off rate of €5 (price included).
The power of the Hot Press cover to inspire has never been in doubt. It is regarded by many as the defining moment when an artist or a band – especially from Ireland – has arrived and made it. Now, it is your turn to contribute to music and social history-in-the-making, by supporting this ground-breaking magazine in creating a book of all the days – for all the days...
Covered In Glory: The Hot Press Covers Book is available for pre-purchase through Pledge Music (direct link www.pledgemusic.com/hotpress)