- 30 Aug 20
As part of our nightly YouTube series celebrating Van Morrison's 75th birthday, Paul Brady performs 'Cry For Home', and shares his reflections on Van's music.
Widely considered one of Ireland's greatest singer-songwriters, Paul Brady initially rose to prominence playing with The Johnstons and Planxty. As a solo artist, he continues to push at the boundaries of contemporary music.
* * * * *
"Van has always been attached to his home place and it surfaces often in his songs. ‘Cry For Home’ is a classic example of the yearning for a safe home place, a feeling I share. I found it easy to enter that heart space."
Read more in the new Van Morrison Special Issue of Hot Press, and watch Paul Brady perform 'Cry For Home' below:
See the action-packed programme for Van's Big Day on Monday, August 31, below:
• President Michael D. Higgins with Bill Whelan – ‘Rave On, John Donne’ (7pm)
• Bob Geldof – ‘I'm Tired Joey Boy’ (7.15pm)
• Moya Brennan (Clannad) – ‘The Beauty Of The Days Gone By’ (7.30pm)
• Paul Casey & Friends feat. Terri Hooley – ‘In The Days Before Rock ’n’ Roll’ (7.45pm)
• Brian Kennedy – ‘Days Like This’ (8pm)
• Mary Coughlan – ‘Warm Love’ (8.15pm)
• John Spillane – ‘Cleaning Windows’ (8.30pm)
• Altan – ‘Whenever God Shines His Light’ (8.45pm)
• Malaki – ‘Someone Like You’ (9pm)
• Glen Hansard – ‘Astral Weeks’ (9.15pm)
• Hozier – ‘Caravan’ (9.30pm)
Hot Press is also publishing a Van Morrison Special Issue, to coincide with ‘Rave On, Van Morrison’, featuring written contributions from the legendary likes of Sinéad O'Connor, Gary Lightbody, Tim Wheeler, Una Healy and David Keenan – who reflect on Van's music and influence. The issue will also look back at five decades of landmark Hot Press interviews with Van, in which he discusses everything from Ray Charles and his other musical heroes, to the inspiration behind the seminal Astral Weeks. Plus, you can expect exclusive photos from the archives, ten ways Van has changed the world, and much more. This historic publication is set to be a must-have for Van Morrison fans all over the world, and is available to pre-order now.