- 27 Aug 20
As part of our nightly YouTube series celebrating Van Morrison's 75th birthday, The Mary Stokes Band perform 'Roll With The Punches', and share their reflections on Van's music and influence.
The Mary Stokes Band have left an indelible mark on Irish and international music – releasing over 10 albums over the course of their remarkable career. Their 1997 debut Ten Years On The Road, a nod their legendary live profile, was a powerful statement of blues prowess. Among their highlights of 2019 was a lauded set at the iconic Cavern Club in Liverpool.
* * * * *
"We chose ‘Roll With The Punches’ to honour Van Morrison’s understanding of the stripped back eloquence of the Blues. The sentiment, especially now, that ‘getting on with it’, ‘taking the hits and rising above’ is important. The need to take individual challenges and life experience in one’s stride strikes a deep chord for me."
Read more in the upcoming Van Morrison Special Issue of Hot Press, and watch The Mary Stokes Band perform 'Roll With The Punches' below:
See the schedule for the upcoming performances on 'Rave On, Van Morrison' below:
- Thur Aug 27 Mary Stokes Band Roll With The Punches (7pm); Wyvern Lingo Domino (8pm)
- Fri Aug 28 Beoga Scandinavia (7pm); Reevah Ballerina (8pm)
- Sat Aug 29 Luka Bloom Madame George (7pm); Conor Marcus Rough God Goes Riding (8pm)
- Sun Aug 30 David Lyttle feat. Liam Neeson On Hyndford Street (7pm); Paul Brady Cry For Home (8pm)
Plus – an action-packed programme for Van's Big Day on Monday, August 31:
• President Michael D. Higgins with Bill Whelan – ‘Rave On, John Donne’ (7pm)
• Bob Geldof – ‘I'm Tired Joey Boy’ (7.15pm)
• Moya Brennan (Clannad) – ‘The Beauty Of The Days Gone By’ (7.30pm)
• Paul Casey & Friends feat. Terri Hooley – ‘In The Days Before Rock ’n’ Roll’ (7.45pm)
• Brian Kennedy – ‘Days Like This’ (8pm)
• Mary Coughlan – ‘Warm Love’ (8.15pm)
• John Spillane – ‘Cleaning Windows’ (8.30pm)
• Altan – ‘Whenever God Shines His Light’ (8.45pm)
• Malaki – ‘Someone Like You’ (9pm)
• Glen Hansard – ‘Astral Weeks’ (9.15pm)
• Hozier – ‘Caravan’ (9.30pm)
Hot Press is also publishing a Van Morrison Special Issue, to coincide with ‘Rave On, Van Morrison’, featuring written contributions from the legendary likes of Sinéad O'Connor, Gary Lightbody, Tim Wheeler, Una Healy and David Keenan – who reflect on Van's music and influence. The issue will also look back at five decades of landmark Hot Press interviews with Van, in which he discusses everything from Ray Charles and his other musical heroes, to the inspiration behind the seminal Astral Weeks. Plus, you can expect exclusive photos from the archives, ten ways Van has changed the world, and much more. This historic publication is set to be a must-have for Van Morrison fans all over the world, and is available to pre-order now.