- 29 Aug 20
As part of our nightly YouTube series celebrating Van Morrison's 75th birthday, Luka Bloom performs 'Madame George', and shares his reflections on Van's music and influence.
Over the last five decades, Luka Bloom has cemented his legendary status as a prolific singer-songwriter and performer. He launched his career while he was still a teenager – opening for his older brother Christy Moore on a tour of England in 1969. He has since released over 20 albums, with his latest project, Bittersweet Crimson, released earlier this summer.
* * * * *
"What drew me to singing ‘Madame George’ was pure fear. My concept of hell is a comfort zone – and this song took me right out of my comfort zone. I wanted to challenge myself to deliver a believable version of this iconic song, without trying in any way to be Van. It’s up to others to decide the extent to which I succeeded or failed. I loved the effort – singing it everyday at home for a few months. What a song. What a champion. Thanks Van."
Read more in the new Van Morrison Special Issue of Hot Press, and watch Luka Bloom perform 'Madame George' below:
See the schedule for the upcoming performances on 'Rave On, Van Morrison' below:
- Sat Aug 29 Luka Bloom Madame George (7pm); Conor Marcus Rough God Goes Riding (8pm)
- Sun Aug 30 David Lyttle feat. Liam Neeson On Hyndford Street (7pm); Paul Brady Cry For Home (8pm)
Plus – an action-packed programme for Van's Big Day on Monday, August 31:
• President Michael D. Higgins with Bill Whelan – ‘Rave On, John Donne’ (7pm)
• Bob Geldof – ‘I'm Tired Joey Boy’ (7.15pm)
• Moya Brennan (Clannad) – ‘The Beauty Of The Days Gone By’ (7.30pm)
• Paul Casey & Friends feat. Terri Hooley – ‘In The Days Before Rock ’n’ Roll’ (7.45pm)
• Brian Kennedy – ‘Days Like This’ (8pm)
• Mary Coughlan – ‘Warm Love’ (8.15pm)
• John Spillane – ‘Cleaning Windows’ (8.30pm)
• Altan – ‘Whenever God Shines His Light’ (8.45pm)
• Malaki – ‘Someone Like You’ (9pm)
• Glen Hansard – ‘Astral Weeks’ (9.15pm)
• Hozier – ‘Caravan’ (9.30pm)
Hot Press is also publishing a Van Morrison Special Issue, to coincide with ‘Rave On, Van Morrison’, featuring written contributions from the legendary likes of Sinéad O'Connor, Gary Lightbody, Tim Wheeler, Una Healy and David Keenan – who reflect on Van's music and influence. The issue will also look back at five decades of landmark Hot Press interviews with Van, in which he discusses everything from Ray Charles and his other musical heroes, to the inspiration behind the seminal Astral Weeks. Plus, you can expect exclusive photos from the archives, ten ways Van has changed the world, and much more. This historic publication is set to be a must-have for Van Morrison fans all over the world, and is available to pre-order now.