- 24 Nov 16
Media reports that Elton John is set to perform at President-elect Donald Trump’s Inauguration ceremony are “not true,” according to a spokesperson for the British star.
One of Trump’s key advisors, Anthony Scaramussci raised eyebrows when he announced yesterday that Elton John was going to play at the presidential ceremony – despite the fact that 'Rocket Man' star had told Donald Trump back in February to stop using his music during campaign rallies in the election.
Speaking on the BBC’s show HARDtalk on Wednesday, Scaramucci declared: "Elton John is going to be doing our concert on the mall for the inauguration."
But this has now been rubbished by Elton John’s camp. “The reports that Elton is performing at Trump's inauguration are not true. He will not be performing,” a spokesperson said last night on behalf of Elton John.
Back at the start of the year, Elton John had asked Trump to stop using ‘Tiny Dancer’ and ‘Rocket Man’ at his campaign rallies.
"I don't really want my music to be involved in anything to do with an American election campaign. I'm British," he said earlier this year in an interview with The Guardian.
"I've met Donald Trump – he was very nice to me. It's nothing personal. His political views are his own; mine are very different, I'm not a Republican in a million years. Why not ask Ted fucking Nugent? Or one of those fucking country stars? They'll do it for you."
This is the second time in the last week that a musician has declared that he won’t be playing at the inauguration ball in the new year. Vince Neil of Mötley Crüe fame appeared proud to announce that he was going to do the gig, but only hours later said he’d been “uninvited”. It’ll be interesting to see who actually turns up on the day to sing for the controversial new President-elect Donald Trump.
Here's Elton John performing his classic hit 'Rocket Man' at Madison Square Garden back in 2000 .