- 04 Dec 19
The Dublin café/deli/vintage shop is looking for your help to give gifts to 522 children in direct provision this Christmas.
Since opening its doors back in 2015, Bang Bang has fast become a local favourite in Phibsboro – offering locally sourced and homemade products, breads, salads, sandwiches, coffee and vintage clothing. Now the socially-conscious store is turning its attention to a mammoth task – collecting Christmas gifts for 522 children living in direct provisions centres around the country.
The gift drive follows last year's mission, which saw the store gather gifts for 82 children living in Clondalkin's direct provision centre. Taking to Facebook, Bang Bang asked people to "show these children and their parents how we as a people value them whilst our government acts reprehensibly."
This year, Bang Bang plan to bring children from DP centres in Athlone, Courtown, Tramore, Ballyhaunis, Monaghan, Carrick-on-Shannon, Killarney, Tralee, Balseskin, Charlestown and more to a special Christmas event in Bohemian Football Club. The children and their parents will be brought by coach to the event, where Bang Bang will deliver the gifts donated by the public.
If you'd like to get involved, see Bang Bang's instructions below:
- Get a couple of small bits for different ages – ideally one of the things being a €5 or €10 One-For-All voucher (ideal for older kids). You can leave a note for parents if you like with good wishes.
- Put the bits in a gift bag but NOT WRAPPED so we can see inside.
- Bring to Bang Bang. We will be moving them to a safe location each day.
- We’ll bring them all to the kids parents for their Christmas event in mid-December in Dalymount Park.
- A team of volunteers with the list of the 522 names and ages will go through all gifts and compile a gift bag for each child the day before they arrive.
As of yesterday evening, Bang Bang had already gathered enough gifts for 120 children.