- 07 Nov 22
Rural applicants account for over half successful applications
Catherine Martin, Minister for Tourism, Culture, Arts, Gaeltacht, Sport and Media, has announced which applicants have been successful and will be receiving the four-million-euro in funding assigned to assist off peak entertainment in towns and cities across Ireland.
433 organisations have been offered funding from the Night-Time Economy Support Scheme, in total.
Applications were received from a wide range of venues including pubs, nightclubs, cafés, theatres, arts centres, galleries, museums and retail outlets.
These applicants fall under two sections - licensed and unlicensed premises.
Licensed premises – pubs, restaurants and wine bars, nightclubs and other suitable licensed premises that operate in the Evening and Night-Time Economy and who want to trial a series of events/cultural activities (minimum of four events, but not limited to 4 events) during off peak times from Monday to Thursday (excluding weekends) from 6pm onwards.
Unlicensed premises – cafés, including cafés that may have their premises in a retail outlet, dry bars, local galleries and other suitable non-licensed premises who want to trial a series of events/cultural activities (minimum of four events, but not limited to 4 events) in the later evening or night-time hours from 6pm, with a commitment to open until at least 9pm in the evening, from Monday to Sunday.
The pilot scheme proved effective, with over 470 creative and diverse applications submitted for consideration. The volume of applications reflected the willingness of the night-time economy sector to be innovative and creative in their offerings.
Well in excess of 2000 events in every county across the country, have been approved for funding, including: live music, ranging from traditional music to electronic music, DJ nights, theatre, comedy, dance, literature, art and photographic exhibitions.
As well as €434,000 awarded to those unlicensed premises', venues in rural towns and villages were also supported, with funding awarded to 252 venues outside of Ireland's major cities.
The fund has been an important source of employment for artists and performers across the country with thousands of employment days generated by this Scheme.
Operating with a funding capacity of four-million-euro, the scheme provides 75 per cent of the required funding, with applicants required to fund the remaining 25 per cent. A maximum allowable grant of €10,000 per business or venue was available.
It is a condition of funding that all artists and performers are paid.
Speaking about the Scheme, Minister Martin said: “A vibrant, diverse and inclusive night-time economy is important for our towns and cities, it boosts the local economy, makes our towns and cities more attractive places to visit and to live in. There has been a great reaction from the night-time sector to this pilot scheme.
"It is also extremely important that we ensure that there is a balance between alcohol and alcohol free activities to ensure that a wider demographic can engage with the Night-Time Economy and it was also really encouraging to see the response from this sector," Martin added.
“I recently announced that I secured €6 million as part of Budget 2023 to assist the night-time economy sector. I am currently considering the development of further initiatives and we will continue to work with key stakeholders in the Night-Time Economy to examine other opportunities to open up existing venues to more Night-Time Economy activity.”
Successful venues include: Mother Mac's Pub, Limerick; Lifford Courthouse, Donegal; The Cottage Market, Carlow; Sweet N Green Cafe, Clare; DeBarras, Cork; Voodoo Venue, Donegal; Museum of Literature Ireland, Dublin; Bernard Shaw, Dublin; Hen's Teeth, Dublin; Roisin Dubh, Galway; Kerry Writers' Museum, Kerry; After Dark, Laois; Lockup Records Ltd, Louth; Cupán Ceoil, Mayo; The Grey Dog, Wicklow; and many more.
- Lifestyle & Sports
- 22 Jul 22