- Film And TV
- 14 Nov 23
In a statement released today, the Minister for Tourism, Culture, Arts, Gaeltacht, Sport and Media, Catherine Martin TD, updated cabinet colleagues on funding plans for RTÉ, with an additional €40 million promised to the broadcasting service.
Minister Catherine Martin said a decision has been made in relation to additional funding for RTÉ.
Following engagement with relevant senior cabinet colleagues over the last number of days, including Party Leaders, a plan of action had been decided on to "rebuild the trust and confidence of the Irish public".
Speaking today the Minister said: “RTÉ’s new Strategic Vision demonstrates a renewed commitment to public service broadcasting, and addresses key areas such as governance reforms and cost efficiencies".
“Allied with measures introduced already, this Strategic Vision for RTÉ enables us to move forward with a decision to confirm the additional funding of €40m for the organisation, as recommended by NewERA.
The Minister added that this €40 million euro cash injection was in addition to the €16 million funding which was recommended by the Future of Media Commission earlier this year.
The announcement comes after it was reported that RTÉ was to axe 400 members of staff.
The initial funding of €16m, will be provided by way of supplementary estimate in the coming weeks.
The further €40m in funding, recommended by NewERA, will be provided to RTÉ in the 2024 Revised Estimates in December.
However there will be tighter restrictions on how the broadcaster can spend this money with oversight by the Department of Media and will include NewERA.
Ms. Martin continues: "A structure will be put in place to provide assurance on progress in reforms linked to the release of the €40m funding, with a particular focus on the recommendations of the two Expert Advisory Committees set up by Government in July. This will be led by the Department of Media and will include NewERA.
"An initial tranche of the €40m funding will be provided in Q1 2024 after the Expert Advisory Committees reports, set up by the Government, are published.
"A further instalment will be made in the second half of the year providing satisfactory progress is being made by RTÉ on governance and reforms.
The Minister added: “This decision on funding is necessary to ensure in the short term the continued operations of RTÉ. However, a long-term reform of the public funding model is critical to ensure the national broadcaster is on a sustainable footing, and to ensure good quality public service broadcasting into the future. This will be addressed as a matter of priority for this Government."
Minister Catherine Martin stressed the importance of paying the TV license.
Taoiseach Leo Varadkar spoke on the issue today saying: “The strategic plan is an RTÉ plan, written by RTÉ management and their board, it is not one that requires Government approval.
“It is a plan by RTÉ for RTÉ.
"In terms of the issue of interim funding, Government decided today that there will be interim funding for RTÉ this year and also next year, but it will be subject to certain conditions and achieving certain milestones and implementing certain reforms".
- Film And TV
- 04 Dec 23