- Culture
- 20 Feb 26
Protest planned at FAI headquarters over Ireland's Nations League matches against Israel
Organised by D15 with Palestine and People Before Profit, the protest will take place outside the Football Association of Ireland (FAI) headquarters in Dublin's Blanchardstown, today, February 20, at 1:30PM.
A protest calling for a boycott of Ireland’s UEFA Nations League matches against Israel will take place outside the Football Association of Ireland (FAI) headquarters in Dublin's Blanchardstown, today, February 20, at 1:30PM.
Last week, Ireland were drawn into the same group as Israel, Austria, and Kosovo for the league. The FAI confirmed that Ireland will fulfil the games against Israel, with Taoiseach Micheál Martin insisting the games should go ahead, despite calls from opposition TDs for a boycott. Martin also added that there is a need to distinguish between the policies of the government of Israel and the Israeli people.
"Since the beginning of Israel’s genocide over 1,000 athletes have been murdered, hundreds of whom were football players. 184 sporting facilities have been completely destroyed and a further 81 damaged," said People before Profit-Solidarity TD Ruth Coppinger in a statement.
"Their lives and legacies (the deceased Palestinian athletes) should be commemorated by Irish sporting associations, not disregarded or erased — yet that is the message the FAI will send by going ahead with the fixture," she added.
The opposition, along with the Dublin activist group D15 with Palestine, said they believe anti-Irish sentiment in Israel could put the safety of Irish players and fans at risk if the games proceed.
Trade union Siptu also previously said that members employed by the FAI have raised "serious safety concerns" regarding any proposed Nations League matches between Ireland and Israel.
Siptu Deputy General Secretary, Greg Ennis, said that such a match "is not only a serious political and moral issue but also has safety implications for workers and players which the FAI must consider".
At an EGM last year, a motion issued by Bohemians calling for Israel to be banned from UEFA competitions was passed by a significant majority. The FAI wrote to UEFA on November 20 to formally request Israel to be banned from the competition.
Israel’s home game is on September 27 and Ireland’s on October 4.
UEFA have confirmed that they still stand by the decision of not allowing any matches to take place in Israel.
RELATED
- Culture
- 19 Feb 26
Yamamori Izakaya noise dispute case adjourned until March
- Film And TV
- 19 Feb 26
The Shows Must Go On: Under Salt Marsh, 56 Days, Wonder Man and Steal
RELATED
- Pics & Vids
- 18 Feb 26
Yamamori Izakaya Protest at the Hoxton Hotel (photos)
- Culture
- 17 Feb 26
Yamamori Izakaya refutes allegations made by Hoxton hotel
- Culture
- 17 Feb 26