- 28 Aug 20
As part of our nightly YouTube series celebrating Van Morrison's 75th birthday, Beoga perform 'Scandinavia', and share their reflections on Van's music and influence.
Irish traditional/folk music quintet Beoga have been a powerful force on the Irish scene since forming at the All-Ireland Fleadh in Kerry in 2002. Their third album, The Incident, was shortlisted for a 2010 Grammy Award nomination. Beoga also contributed to Ed Sheeran’s 2016 album Divide, before releasing their new seven-track EP, Carousel, in May.
* * * * *
"The melody drew us to ‘Scandinavia’. He’s so good at crafting the hook, we wanted to do one of his instrumental pieces that mightn’t be on everyone’s radar. He has loads of great instrumental pieces – he’s a living legend."
Read more in the new Van Morrison Special Issue of Hot Press, and watch Beoga perform 'Scandinavia' below:
See the schedule for the upcoming performances on 'Rave On, Van Morrison' below:
- Fri Aug 28 Beoga Scandinavia (7pm); Reevah Ballerina (8pm)
- Sat Aug 29 Luka Bloom Madame George (7pm); Conor Marcus Rough God Goes Riding (8pm)
- Sun Aug 30 David Lyttle feat. Liam Neeson On Hyndford Street (7pm); Paul Brady Cry For Home (8pm)
Plus – an action-packed programme for Van's Big Day on Monday, August 31:
• President Michael D. Higgins with Bill Whelan – ‘Rave On, John Donne’ (7pm)
• Bob Geldof – ‘I'm Tired Joey Boy’ (7.15pm)
• Moya Brennan (Clannad) – ‘The Beauty Of The Days Gone By’ (7.30pm)
• Paul Casey & Friends feat. Terri Hooley – ‘In The Days Before Rock ’n’ Roll’ (7.45pm)
• Brian Kennedy – ‘Days Like This’ (8pm)
• Mary Coughlan – ‘Warm Love’ (8.15pm)
• John Spillane – ‘Cleaning Windows’ (8.30pm)
• Altan – ‘Whenever God Shines His Light’ (8.45pm)
• Malaki – ‘Someone Like You’ (9pm)
• Glen Hansard – ‘Astral Weeks’ (9.15pm)
• Hozier – ‘Caravan’ (9.30pm)
Hot Press is also publishing a Van Morrison Special Issue, to coincide with ‘Rave On, Van Morrison’, featuring written contributions from the legendary likes of Sinéad O'Connor, Gary Lightbody, Tim Wheeler, Una Healy and David Keenan – who reflect on Van's music and influence. The issue will also look back at five decades of landmark Hot Press interviews with Van, in which he discusses everything from Ray Charles and his other musical heroes, to the inspiration behind the seminal Astral Weeks. Plus, you can expect exclusive photos from the archives, ten ways Van has changed the world, and much more. This historic publication is set to be a must-have for Van Morrison fans all over the world, and is available to pre-order now.