- 23 Aug 22
Watch the video for the new single, directed by Sean McMahon, below.
Ahead of the release of their debut album – expected this autumn – The Mary Wallopers are back with a new single, 'Frost Is All Over', as well as an accompanying music video.
To coincide with the release, the raucous Dundalk folk group have also announced a major tour, with new Irish dates in November and December – including a headline show at The National Stadium in Dublin on November 17. Tickets go on sale this Friday.
"'Frost is All Over' is a traditional Irish song about taking everything in your stride and not caring about what everyone says you should care about," The Mary Wallopers say of the new single. "We added the verse about landlords as we feel they are a sensitive sort who need reminding of how much we care about them. It was recorded by Chris Barry in his Dublin studio in 2021. It's an old song made famous by Planxty.
"The video was shot by Sean McMahon and the set was designed by Mark Sheridan," they continue. "Sean is from Dundalk like us and has worked on our livestreams before. It was shot in the old AOH Hall in Blackrock, Dundalk, which local music legend Conor Hughes allowed us to use. The video is our way of introducing the new band and how sexy we have become over lockdown. Our home studio / pub was too small to fit everyone in so we had to branch out but still keep it Dundalk.”
Originally made up of brothers Andrew and Charles Hendy and their friend Sean McKenna, The Mary Wallopers have recently expanded to a seven-piece for live performances.
With their trademark combination of charm, irreverence, staggering talent and a fiercely DIY ethos, the group have rapidly established themselves as a captivating force in Irish music. In 2019, they released their acclaimed debut EP, A Mouthful of The Mary Wallopers.
After building up a massive online fanbase with their live-streamed gigs from the Hendys' home in Dundalk over lockdown, they now have two Vicar Street headliners and a host of other lauded live shows under their belts.
Take a look at the video for 'Frost Is All Over', directed and produced by Sean McMahon, below:
Live Dates 2022:
- 28 Oct - Norwich - Norwich Arts Centre
- 29 Oct - Hull - Polar Bear Music Club
- 30 Oct - Liverpool - O2 Academy 2
- 31 Oct - Birmingham - O2 Institute 3
- 02 Nov - Cambridge - The Portland Arms
- 03 Nov - Cardiff - The Globe
- 04 Nov - Leicester - The Soundhouse
- 06 Nov - Sheffield - The Leadmill 2
- 07 Nov - Leeds - Brudenell Social Club
- 08 Nov - Brighton - Komedia
- 17 Nov- Dublin - National Stadium
- 19 Nov - Rotterdam - V11
- 20 Nov - Leffinge - Cafe De Zwerver
- 21 Nov - Dusseldorf - The Tube
- 22 Nov - Nijmegen - Merleyn
- 23 Nov - Amsterdam - Paradiso (upstairs)
- 24 Nov - Deventer - Burgerweeshuis Café
- 01 Dec - Kilkenny - Set Theatre
- 02 Dec - Cork - Cyprus Avenue
- 03 Dec - Castlebar - Royal Theatre
- 04 Dec - Dunmore East - Haven Marquee
- 07 Dec - Portlaoise - Kavanaghs Bar & Venue
- 08 Dec - Donegal - Séan Ógs
- 09 Dec - Belfast - Mandela Hall
- 11 Dec - Edinburgh - The Liquid Room
- 14 Dec - Bristol - Thekla
- 15 Dec - London - Electric Ballroom
- 16 Dec - Manchester - Band On The Wall
- 17 Dec - Glasgow - The Garage
- 18 Dec - Newcastle upon Tyne - Cluny 2
- 19 Dec - Nottingham - Rescue Rooms
- 28 Dec - Kerry - Mike The Pies
- 31 Dec - Limerick - Dolans