- 23 Aug 20
Martin Hayes and Cara Dillon's performances for Van Morrison's 75th birthday celebration are going live tonight.
Following stunning performances for 'Rave On, Van Morrison' last night, we're bringing you another special evening of back-to-back Van covers – with Martin Hayes performing 'Moondance', followed by Cara Dillon performing 'Memory Lane'.
Over the course of the YouTube event, celebrating Van Morrison's 75th birthday, you can expect even more renditions of his remarkable songs from some of the most iconic names in the country – including President Michael D. Higgins with Bill Whelan, Hozier, Sinéad O'Connor, Bob Geldof, Glen Hansard and Damien Rice, to name just a few.
Widely regarded as one of the most significant talents to emerge in the world of Irish traditional music, award-winning musician Martin Hayes has shared stages with Sting and Paul Simon; received an honorary doctorate from the National University of Ireland Galway; performed for President Barack Obama at the White House; and founded the acclaimed Irish/American supergroup The Gloaming.
Multiple award-winning singer Cara Dillon has been performing since the age of 14. Cara made a name for herself as a solo artist after leaving folk supergroup Equation, later collaborating with her husband Sam Lakeman and releasing her debut solo album in 2001. She was awarded the Meteor Irish Music Award for Best Irish Female in 2004 for her second album.
Martin Hayes' performance of 'Moondance' (7pm Irish Standard Time) and Cara Dillon's performance of 'Memory Lane' (8pm) premiere tonight, August 23, on the Hot Press YouTube channel.
See the full schedule for the upcoming performances on 'Rave On, Van Morrison' below:
- Sun Aug 23 Martin Hayes Moondance (7pm); Cara Dillon Memory Lane (8pm)
- Mon Aug 24 Damien Rice Crazy Love (7pm); ROE Lifetimes (8pm)
- Tues Aug 25 Moncrieff Hungry For Your Love (7pm); Loah If I Ever Needed Someone (8pm)
- Wed Aug 26 Rosie Carney Gypsy Queen (7pm); Whenyoung Irish Heartbeat (8pm)
- Thur Aug 27 Mary Stokes Band Roll With The Punches (7pm); Wyvern Lingo Domino (8pm)
- Fri Aug 28 Beoga Scandinavia (7pm); Reevah Ballerina (8pm)
- Sat Aug 29 Luka Bloom Madame George (7pm); Conor Marcus Rough God Goes Riding (8pm)
- Sun Aug 30 David Lyttle feat. Liam Neeson On Hyndford Street (7pm); Paul Brady Cry For Home (8pm)
Hot Press is also publishing a Van Morrison Special Issue, to coincide with ‘Rave On, Van Morrison’, featuring written contributions from the legendary likes of Sinéad O'Connor, Gary Lightbody, Tim Wheeler, Una Healy and David Keenan – who reflect on Van's music and influence. The issue will also look back at five decades of landmark Hot Press interviews with Van, in which he discusses everything from Ray Charles and his other musical heroes, to the inspiration behind the seminal Astral Weeks. Plus, you can expect exclusive photos from the archives, ten ways Van has changed the world, and much more. This historic publication is set to be a must-have for Van Morrison fans all over the world, and is available to pre-order now.