- 15 Nov 23
American singer-songwriter, rapper and multi-instrumentalist André 3000 has surprised fans by announcing his first solo album.
The debut solo album, New Blue Sun will be released on November 17th, 2023 via Epic Records. The album will be the artist's first album since his 2006 release Idlewild with Outkast.
New Blue Sun, is set to be co-produced by André 3000 himself with DJ and percussionist Carlos Niño.
The debut album will feature a large ensemble of musicians including drummer Deantoni Parks and singer-songwriter Mia Doi Todd.
The Outkast rapper's first solo album be entirely instrumental and centred around woodwinds.
Wind is an reccurring theme in the experimental album with the artist saying “I've been interested in winds for a long time, so it was just a natural progression for me to go into flutes,”
“I just like messing with instruments and I gravitated mostly toward wind"
The use of percussion marks a huge artistic shift in André 3000's work.
Fans of the artist's earlier work as 50% of the hip hop duo Outkast are set to be disappointed if they are hoping to hear some rhymes and hooks, with André 3000 stating; "No, there aren’t any rhymes on this LP. In fact, there aren’t any words. It’s a fully instrumental record with long-running songs and equally long-winded titles".
The opening track is 12 minutes and is titled “I Swear, I Really Wanted to Make a Rap Album But This Is Literally the Way the Wind Blew Me This Time.”
The artist made the unexpected announcement regarding the album on his Instagram yesterday:
View this post on Instagram
This new musical project marks a staunch artistic departure from his previous work with Outkast, for which he is known by beloved hits such as 'Ms. Jackson' and Irish wedding favourite 'Hey Ya!' .
The eccentric New Blue Sun track Listing is as follows:
1. I Swear, I Really Wanted To Make A “Rap” Album But This Is Literally The Way The Wind Blew Me This Time
2. The Slang Word P(*)ssy Rolls Off The Tongue With Far Better Ease Than The Proper Word Vagina . Do You Agree?
3. That Night In Hawaii When I Turned Into A Panther And Started Making These Low Register Purring Tones That I Couldn’t Control … Sh¥t Was Wild
4. BuyPoloDisorder’s Daughter Wears A 3000™ Button Down Embroidered
5. Ninety Three ‘Til Infinity And Beyoncé
6. Ghandi, Dalai Lama, Your Lord & Savior J.C. / Bundy, Jeffrey Dahmer, And John Wayne Gacy
7. Ants To You, Gods To Who ?
8. Dreams Once Buried Beneath The Dungeon Floor Slowly Sprout Into Undying Gardens