- 20 Aug 20
As part of our nightly YouTube series celebrating Van Morrison's 75th birthday, Gemma Hayes performs 'Comfort You', and shares her reflections on Van's music and influence.
Over the last 20 years, Mercury Prize nominee Gemma Hayes has established herself as one of Ireland's leading musical talents. The Tipperary singer-songwriter released her acclaimed fifth studio album, Bones + Longing, in 2014.
* * * * *
"I love the sentiment of 'Comfort You' – to comfort a friend, and hold their pain for a moment to give them some respite. 'I'll put the weight on you... and you put the weight on me'. It's a positive song about friendship and compassion. It was such an honour to get to sing this song. I thought about all the people who have put their own health at risk to save the lives of other recently. That goes way beyond friendship and into the realms of real heroism."
Read more in the upcoming Van Morrison Special Issue of Hot Press, and watch Gemma Hayes perform 'Comfort You' below:
See the full schedule for the upcoming performances on 'Rave On, Van Morrison' below:
- Thu Aug 20 Gemma Hayes Comfort You (7pm); Little Hours Streets Of Arklow (8pm)
- Fri Aug 21 Gemma Bradley Sometimes We Cry (7pm); Jess Kav Vanlose Stairway (8pm)
- Sat Aug 22 Mick Flannery Linden Arden Stole the Highlights (7pm); The Henry Girls These Are The Days (8pm)
- Sun Aug 23 Martin Hayes Moondance (7pm); Cara Dillon Memory Lane (8pm)
- Mon Aug 24 Damien Rice Crazy Love (7pm); ROE Lifetimes (8pm)
- Tues Aug 25 Moncrieff Hungry For Your Love (7pm); Loah If I Ever Needed Someone (8pm)
- Wed Aug 26 Rosie Carney Gypsy Queen (7pm); Whenyoung Irish Heartbeat (8pm)
- Thur Aug 27 Mary Stokes Band Roll With The Punches (7pm); Wyvern Lingo Domino (8pm)
- Fri Aug 28 Beoga Scandinavia (7pm); Reevah Ballerina (8pm)
- Sat Aug 29 Luka Bloom Madame George (7pm); Conor Marcus Rough God Goes Riding (8pm)
- Sun Aug 30 David Lyttle feat. Liam Neeson On Hyndford Street (7pm); Paul Brady Cry For Home (8pm)
Hot Press is also publishing a Van Morrison Special Issue, to coincide with ‘Rave On, Van Morrison’, featuring written contributions from the legendary likes of Sinéad O'Connor, Gary Lightbody, Tim Wheeler, Una Healy and David Keenan – who reflect on Van's music and influence. The issue will also look back at five decades of landmark Hot Press interviews with Van, in which he discusses everything from Ray Charles and his other musical heroes, to the inspiration behind the seminal Astral Weeks. Plus, you can expect exclusive photos from the archives, ten ways Van has changed the world, and much more. This historic publication is set to be a must-have for Van Morrison fans all over the world, and is available to pre-order now.