- 12 Jun 20
All Stops Are Pulled Out To Celebrate Ireland's Greatest Guitar Player
What exactly constitutes a cavalcade of stars? How about that time yer one with the awful chat show took that selfie at the Oscars with all the beautiful people? The cover art of Band On The Run? The front page of one of those Vanity Fair Hollywood “specials”? My birthday party last year? Or even Sam Snort’s bedroom on any given day? Pah! All of these gatherings, as notable as they are, are akin to Nathan Carter’s stunt double cutting the ribbon on a local by-pass when compared to the Rory Gallagher 25th Anniversary Special of the world’s greatest cultural periodical, Hot Press Magazine!
Hark at this list of heroes! President Michael D. Higgins, Slash, Steve Van Zandt, Johnny Marr, Imelda May, Mick Fleetwood, Martin Hayes, Mary Stokes, Winton Marshall outta Mumford & Sons, Johnny Fean outta Horslips, Eric Bell outta Thin Lizzy, Bronagh Gallagher outta The Bronagh Gallagher Band, and Cáit O’Riordan outta The Pogues!
And sure why wouldn’t they all tog out when it comes to celebrating the life and work of Rory Gallagher, the greatest Irish guitar hero of them all? How great was he? He made the rest of them sound like El Kabong, suffering through a savage hangover.
Gary Moore? CLANG!
The Edge? CLANG… CLANg… CLAng… CLang… Clang… clang…
Even Louis Stewart! Clang#m7dim.
Rory had the beat of the lot of them.
Let’s have some more details, from a slightly less hyperbolic typewriter:
Rory left behind him an extraordinary, and wonderfully enduring, legacy of brilliant music. What’s more, with the passage of time, it has become increasingly clear just how important and influential he was as a musician, as a guitarist and as a person.
14 June 2020 will mark the 25th Anniversary of his death.
On what is a landmark moment, for our Rory Gallagher 25th Anniversary Special, and on hotpress.com, Hot Press magazine will take a look back over the life and times of one of the outstanding, pioneering figures of Irish rock.
In this unique once-in-a-lifetime issue, Hot Press will:
• Recall the key musical moments in a career that was littered with extraordinary highs.
• Talk to his brother Dónal Gallagher about Rory’s extraordinary legacy
• Hear from Slash what inspired his life-long obsession with Rory’s music
• Johnny Marr talks in depth to Pat Carty about why he loved Rory so much
• Delve into the back pages of Hot Press for superb original material on Rory's music – including a superb, in depth interview carried out by the legendary, late rock writer, Bill Graham.
• Publish in full the special oration delivered by Hot Press editor Niall Stokes at the memorial service for Rory, held in London in 1995.
• Recall the moment before the Lisdoonvarna Festival in 1982 that Rory occupied the legendary Mad Hatter’s Box for Hot Press!
• Bring dramatically to life the qualities that made Rory Gallagher the ultimate People’s Champion.
• The Special Issue will also include contributions from a range of other artists, including Steve Van Zandt, Mick Fleetwood, Martin Hayes, Imelda May and many more...
Plus – EXCLUSIVE
• Read all about the brilliant competition we’ll be running for a Rory Gallagher Signature Fender Stratocaster, worth €5,300.
Watch out: We’ll also be featuring Rory strongly on hotpress.com, in a special series of anniversary remembrances – so stay tuned to all our channels throughout June...
The Hot Press Rory Gallagher 25th Anniversary Special is a must-have for any fans of Irish music – and especially for fans and admirers of the man that everyone knew by the name that will forever be associated with him…
There you have it! And that might not even be the full it, for we shall continue to endeavour to cajole further rockin' luminaries into proffering their 'two cents' right up until the time the presses roll! Why, if Prospero had this kind of magic book, they would all have been off that island in jig time! “Only one question remains,” you roar. “How in the name of all that’s holy do I get my hands on such a treasure?” Well, gentle reader, you could leave these things to chance, and do the rounds of the newsagents and dispensaries in your locale come next Thursday, and yes, you’ll probably find a copy of this book of books on the shelf, glowing from within with its own strange luminescence, but these are uncertain times! Why rely on the mercy of fortune? Why risk missing out at all? Better to click on the link we have handily provided below and secure your copy now, thus allowing you to beam with smug satisfaction at the less prudent when the time comes.
“RORY, RORY, RORY, RORY... Ladies & Gentlemen, RORY GALLAGHER!”