- 29 Aug 20
Luka Bloom and Conor Marcus' performances for Van Morrison's 75th birthday celebration are going live tonight.
Following stunning performances for 'Rave On, Van Morrison' last night, we're bringing you another special evening of back-to-back Van covers – with Luka Bloom performing 'Madame George', followed by Conor Marcus performing 'Rough God Goes Riding'.
Over the course of the YouTube event, celebrating Van Morrison's 75th birthday, you can expect even more renditions of his remarkable songs from some of the most iconic names in the country – including President Michael D. Higgins with Bill Whelan, Hozier, Sinéad O'Connor, Bob Geldof, and Glen Hansard , to name just a few.
Over the last five decades, Luka Bloom has cemented his legendary status as a prolific singer-songwriter and performer. He launched his career while he was still a teenager – opening for his older brother Christy Moore on a tour of England in 1969. He has since released over 20 albums, with his latest project, Bittersweet Crimson, released earlier this summer.
Since launching his career as a busker at the age of 11, Conor Marcus has gone on to become the youngest ever participant in the Oh Yeah Music Centre’s prestigious ‘Scratch My Progress’ development programme. The Co. Down singer-songwriter recently reached the semi-finals on The Voices Kids UK, and released his latest single ‘No More Broken Hearts’ earlier this summer.
Luka Bloom's performance of 'Madame George' (7pm Irish Standard Time) and Conor Marcus' performance of 'Rough God Goes Riding' (8pm) premiere tonight, August 29, on the Hot Press YouTube channel.
See the schedule for the upcoming performances on 'Rave On, Van Morrison' below:
- Sat Aug 29 Luka Bloom Madame George (7pm); Conor Marcus Rough God Goes Riding (8pm)
- Sun Aug 30 David Lyttle feat. Liam Neeson On Hyndford Street (7pm); Paul Brady Cry For Home (8pm)
Plus – an action-packed programme for Van's Big Day on Monday, August 31:
• President Michael D. Higgins with Bill Whelan – ‘Rave On, John Donne’ (7pm)
• Bob Geldof – ‘I'm Tired Joey Boy’ (7.15pm)
• Moya Brennan (Clannad) – ‘The Beauty Of The Days Gone By’ (7.30pm)
• Paul Casey & Friends feat. Terri Hooley – ‘In The Days Before Rock ’n’ Roll’ (7.45pm)
• Brian Kennedy – ‘Days Like This’ (8pm)
• Mary Coughlan – ‘Warm Love’ (8.15pm)
• John Spillane – ‘Cleaning Windows’ (8.30pm)
• Altan – ‘Whenever God Shines His Light’ (8.45pm)
• Malaki – ‘Someone Like You’ (9pm)
• Glen Hansard – ‘Astral Weeks’ (9.15pm)
• Hozier – ‘Caravan’ (9.30pm)
Hot Press is also publishing a Van Morrison Special Issue, to coincide with ‘Rave On, Van Morrison’, featuring written contributions from the legendary likes of Sinéad O'Connor, Gary Lightbody, Tim Wheeler, Una Healy and David Keenan – who reflect on Van's music and influence. The issue will also look back at five decades of landmark Hot Press interviews with Van, in which he discusses everything from Ray Charles and his other musical heroes, to the inspiration behind the seminal Astral Weeks. Plus, you can expect exclusive photos from the archives, ten ways Van has changed the world, and much more. This historic publication is set to be a must-have for Van Morrison fans all over the world, and is available to buy in shops or online now: