- 16 Apr 01
Q: Which top Irish quiz-masters’ pathological obsessions include Something Happens, Shamrock Rovers and the amount of shopping days left to the next Suede gig? A: George “You Started, So I’ll Finish” Byrne
1. In which EU capital did Kurt Cobain collapse in March of this year?
2. Blur’s Damon Albarn is presently stepping out with the lead singer from which band?
3. What links the New York Dolls, Edgar Winter Group and Kenneth Branagh?
4. Who was the presenter of the TV show which featured a musical director called Glenn Ponda?
5. The production team of Ferry & Garnefski were behind which 1994 chart-topper ?
6. Which member of The Who wrote the book ‘Horse’s Neck’?
7. Name the Northern Irish bands fronted by the following people: a)Tim Wheeler b)Christian McNeill c)Phil Woolsey?
8. From which English city do Portishead and Massive Attack hail?
9. In which year was The Stone Roses debut album released?
10. And staying with the thorny Mancunians, at which Dublin venue did they make their only Irish appearance in 1986?
11. Who is the presenter of No Disco?
12. Which former Sex Pistol played on the Edwyn Collins album Gorgeous George?
13. Which Motown act comprised Gladys Horton, Katherine Anderson, Georgeanna Tillman, Juanita Cowart and Wanda Young?
14. Merissa Morgan was involved in controversial press coverage following an affair with which singer?
15. Which legendary Rock writer published a 1994 collection entitled The Dark Stuff?
16. “I haven’t a clue what it’s about. Y’know,whatever was coming into my head at the time.” Is the speaker a)Van Morrison on Astral Weeks b)Bob Dylan on Blonde On Blonde or c)Morrissey on Meat Is Murder?
17. ‘All The Time In The World’ was a hit for Louis Armstrong but can you name a)the product it advertised and b)the 1969 James Bond movie in which it originally featured?
18. Jacqui and Carrie are the Christian names of which top Pop duo?
19. Which former Virgin Prune had two songs covered by Naomi Campbell on her debut album?
20. Which Beatles classic was covered by Oasis on the B-side of ‘Cigarettes And Alcohol’?
21. . . . and staying with B-sides. Who recorded a 9-minute version of ‘Moon River’ on a flip this year?
22. Two American states have provided the titles for UK No.1s. Name the songs and the artists involved.
23. ‘Love Is All Around’ was on top of the charts for most of the year but which band covered the song on a 1990 MTV ‘Unplugged’ show?
24. Which band were the subject of a boxed set called Thirty Years Of Maximum R’n’B?
25. Name the trio who collaborated with Sonic The Hedgehog on a single entitled ‘Wonderman’?
26. Who were the only Irish act to play the mudbath that was Woodstock 2?
27. Primal Scream’s Give Out But Don’t Give Up featured the final studio work of which late and legendary producer?
28. From which county do Irish dance act 4th Dimension hail?
29. Which single finally knocked Wet Wet Wet’s ‘Love Is All Around’ off the top of the British charts?
30. Name the composer of ‘Riverdance’ and the two dancers who helped make it such a success?
31. Soundtrack city! From which 1994 movies do the following selection of songs come a)‘Hound Dog’, ‘Respect’ and ‘Sweet Home Alabama’ b)‘Billy Don’t Be A Hero’, ‘Mamma Mia’ and ‘I Love The Nightlife (Disco Round)’ c)‘Son Of A Preacher Man’, ‘You Never Can Tell’ and ‘Jungle Boogie’?
32. Across The Great Divide by Barney Hoskyns told the story of which legendary American act?
33. Which band got into trouble on The Late Late Show for not playing a cover of Joy Division’s ‘Isolation?
34. From which Scandinavian country does singer Stina Nordenstam hail?
35. Which Beatles album was at Number One as the 60s turned into the 70s?
36. And keeping things Fab. On Live At The BBC, The Beatles recorded no less than nine songs by which American artist?
37. Which long-running English Rock act took their name from an 18th Century British agriculturist?
38. Snivilisation is the album and the brothers Hartnoll are the musicians . . . name the electro act please?
39. Which Heavy Metal band recruited Blaze Bayley as lead singer this year?
40. When ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ went to Number One for the second time in 1991 it was as a double A-side. What was the other song?
41. “If I’m gonna kill somebody it might as well be you!” . . . the opening line from a 1994 single by which Irish band?
42. “He was a sad cunt who couldn’t handle the fame.” Who said that about the death of Kurt Cobain, was it a)Eddie Vedder b)Liam Gallagher or c)Courtney Love?
43. Compilation time: which acts released the following collections this year: a)Big Ones b)Carry On Up The Charts c)Fields Of Gold d)Nothing Less Than Brilliant and e)Australian Melodrama ?
44. On February 12th the UK edition of the Daily Star carried the headline ‘Kick This Evil Bastard Out!’ Which rapper was the subject of their ire?
45. Sonya Aurora Madan is the lead singer with which band?
46. Former New Bohemian Edie Brickell is married to which veteran American singer-songwriter?
47. Elvis Costello has only ever had three Top 10 hits...name two of them?
48. Which superstars first performed together as The Festfolk Quartet in 1970?
49. True or False: million-selling American punks Green Day once played a gig in Barnstormers of Capel Street?
50. To Kill A Dead Man was a short film featuring the music of which atmospheric English combo?
51. Who sang lead vocals on the chart-topping ‘Watch Your House For Ireland’?
52. Which of the following didn’t present Top Of The Pops this year: a)Kylie Minogue b)Jack Dee c)Jarvis Cocker or d)Mark Lamarr?
53. Who was featured ‘as himself’ in RTE’s top summer show Gortnaclune ’94?
54. Which Irish bands record exclusively for the following labels: a)Wild Bikini and b)Shamtown?
55. Teenage guitarist Richard Oakes joined which high-profile band during the summer?
56. Which actor contributed vocals to Blur’s ‘Parklife’ single?
57. And staying with thesps, who ‘played’ guitar with Shane MacGowan and The Popes on Top Of The Pops?
58. Which of the following have never released a cover version of ‘Smells Like Teen Spirit’: a)The Flying Pickets b)Smashing Pumpkins or c)Tori Amos?
59. Horsebreaker Star and I Had A New York Girlfriend were 1994 albums from former members of which Australian band?
60. From which Irish city do The Far Canals hail?
61. Which member of the Manic Street Preachers was hospitalised suffering from serious exhaustion during the summer?
62. Which band were taken to court by former member Lol Tolhurst, claiming he was owed over a million pounds in royalties?
63. The soundtrack to Oliver Stone’s banned movie Natural Born Killers was composed by the leader of which controversial American outfit?
64. ‘Pale Movie’ and ‘Hug My Soul’ were minor hits for which Pop act?
65. Who recorded four songs for use over the closing credits of Roddy Doyle’s TV drama Family?
66. “Sex is not really my problem, because I think I know all about it. I know how babies happen. I know how it all works. I don’t have to try it out all the time.” Was the speaker a)Prince b)Cliff Richard or c)Madonna?
67. ‘No Irish ,No Blacks, No Dogs’ . . . the subtitle of whose autobiography?
68. Which legendary Punk band are the subject of a boxed set entitled On Broadway?
69. Can you name the actor/singer who had a Top 10 album in 1997 entitled Playing To An Audience Of One?
70. Maxim, Keith, Leeroy and Liam are the Christian names of which best-selling Rave act?
71. In which year was Bono born?
72. At which Dublin venue did Oasis play a storming gig in September?
73. Which of the following acts didn’t record a cover for the tribute albumIf I Was A Carpenter: a)Sonic Youth b)American Music Club c)Everything But The Girl or d)The Cranberries?
74. Which weekly music paper got in on the fantasy football craze by organising a competition called ‘The Supergroups’?
75. Which veteran group rang The Division Bell this year?
76. Michael Cretu is the driving force behind which successful act?
77. Which Rod Stewart single kept The Sex Pistols’ ‘God Save The Queen’ off the top of the charts in 1977?
78. This summer’s Phoenix Festival saw which band finally bow out after eight years and four albums?
79. Flaunt It and Dress For Excess were the only two albums by which mid-80s band?
80. Which band played tribute to ‘Lenny Valentino’ this year?
81. Noel Gallagher of Oasis is a former roadie with which Manchester band?
82. Which Nirvana song did Sinéad O’Connor cover on Universal Mother?
83. Who was the subject of Ian O’Doherty’s book Last Of The Celtic Soul Rebels?
84. True or false,the legendary ‘Blue Is The Colour’ was released to co-incide with Chelsea’s FA Cup-winning campaign of 1970?
85. Which label once sued Neil Young for making ‘un-Neil Young records’?
86. Amazing Grace – His Greatest Sacred Performances. is a collection of Gospel songs by which legendary singer?
87. Who duetted with Morrissey on the 1994 single ‘Interlude’?
88. Steve Nieve is the keyboard-player with which great backing band?
89. Which Irish cleric’s English-language version of The Rosary appears on The Pope’s debut CD: a)Fr. Brian D’Arcy b)the late Fr.Liam Cosgrave c)Fr.Brendan Smyth d)the late Fr.Michael Cleary or e)Fr.Colm Kilcoyne?
90. Change Giver was the debut album by which New Wave Of New Wave band?
91. On a 1994 single, The Family Cat demanded the head of which prominent Tory politician?
92. Which member of Pearl Jam was sacked during the summer?
93. D:Ream’s ‘Things Can Only Get Better’ finally topped the charts following an extensive support tour with which teeny idols?
94. E.L.P. were ’70s prog-Rock dinosaurs, but what did the initials stand for?
95. On which Rolling Stones studio album will you find the classic hit ‘Brown Sugar’?
96. Easther,Vernie,Louise and Kelle. Name the English Pop quartet, please?
97. In which year did Wham! have their last Number One and what was it called?
98. Adam Duritz is the lead singer with which million-selling American band?
99. In which American city did The Beatles give their last official concert?
100. Who was the man behind the 1976 hitmakers One Hundred Ton And A Feather?
1. Rome 2. Justine from Elastica 3. Frankenstein,the first two had songs called that and Branagh played the character this year 4. Alan Partridge/Steve Coogan 5. ‘Doop’ by Doop 6. Pete Townshend 7. a)Ash b)Schtum c)Joyrider 8. Bristol 9. 1989 10. McGonagles 11. Donal Dineen 12. Drummer Paul Cook 13. The Marvelettes 14. Chris De Burgh 15. Nick Kent 16. a) 17. Guinness and On Her Majesty’s Secret Service 18. Shampoo 19. Gavin Friday 20. ‘I Am The Walrus’ 21. Morrissey, on the flip of ‘Hold On To Your Friends’ 22. ‘Massachussets’ by The Bee Gees and ‘Mississippi’ by Pussycat 23. REM 24. The Who 25. Right Said Fred 26. The Cranberries 27. Jimmy Miller 28. Kerry 29. ‘Saturday Night’ by Whigfield 30. Bill Whelan wrote it, Michael Flatley and Jean Butler were the hoofers 31. a)Forrest Gump b)Priscilla, Queen Of The Desert c)Pulp Fiction 32. The Band 33. Therapy? 34. Sweden 35. Abbey Road 36. Chuck Berry 37. Jethro Tull 38. Orbital 39. Iron Maiden 40. ‘These Are The Days Of Our Lives’ 41. Sack, ‘Indian Rope trick’ 42. b) Nice one Liam! 43. a)Aerosmith b)The Beautiful South c)Sting d)Sandie Shaw e)The Triffids 44. Snoop Doggy Dogg 45. Echobelly 46. Paul Simon 47. ‘Oliver’s Army’, ‘I Can’t Stand Up For Falling Down’ and ‘Good Year For The Roses’ 48. The mighty ABBA 49. True 50. Portished 51. Aslan’s Christy Dignam 52. d) 53. Pat O’Mahony 54. a)Something Happens b)The Saw Doctors 55. Suede 56. Phil Daniels 57. Johnny Depp 58. b) 59. The Go-Betweens, Grant McLennan and Robert Forster 60. Galway 61. Richie James 62. The Cure. . . Lol lost! 63. Nine Inch Nails’ Trent Reznor 64. Saint Etienne 65. Elvis Costello 66. b). . surprise surprise! 67. John Lydon nee Rotten 68. The Clash 69. David Soul 70. The Prodigy 71. 1960 72. The Tivoli 73. c) 74. NME 75. Pink Floyd 76. Enigma 77. ‘I Don’t Want To Talk About It/First Cut Is The Deepest’ 78. The Wonder Stuff 79. Sigue Sigue Sputnik 80. The Auteurs 81. Inspiral carpets 82. ‘All Apologies’ 83. Shane MacGowan 84. False. It was released to tie-in with the League Cup campaign of 1972 85. Geffen 86. Elvis Presley 87. Siouxsie 88. The Attractions 89. e) 90. Shed Seven 91. Michael Portillo. . . ‘Bring Me The Head Of Michael Portillo’ 92. Dave Abbruzzeze 93. Take That 94. Emerson, Lake and Palmer 95. Sticky Fingers 96. Eternal 97. 1986, ‘The Edge Of Heaven’ 98. Counting Crows 99. San Francisco 100. Jonathan King