- 26 Feb 20
Ahead of Gavin James' sold-out 3Arena gig, Hot Press takes look back at the defining moments of his momentous career.
Once a 13-year-old playing Led Zeppelin covers in skate parks, now a platinum-certified artist, Gavin James has definitely had a hell of a career. Humble beginnings and hard work quickly translated to sold-out global tours and hit singles as the singer-songwriter perfected his unique style of acoustic pop. Throughout it all, he's retained a special sense of intimacy in his live performances — even as he wows thousands from the stage.
To celebrate his upcoming sold-out return to Dublin's 3Arena, Hot Press are taking a look back at ten of the defining moments of Gavin's career.
1. Gavin's independently-released single 'Say Hello' wins the 2013 Meteor Choice Award for Song of the Year.
At this point he's only 21 years old, making waves as relentless years of gigging finally pay off.
2. He's signed by Good Soldier in 2014.
By this point, we know Gavin's headed toward something big. He's in good company, too — the company also manages big names like the 1975 and Biffy Clyro.
3. Bitter Pill, Gavin's debut album, is released in 2015 and reaches platinum certification.
His long-awaited debut album Bitter Pill is met with an even more passionate reaction than expected. It quickly reaches platinum certification in Ireland.
4. Single 'Nervous' goes multi-platinum internationally.
The lead single from his debut album found success around the world, going No. 1 and multi-platinum in Holland as well as multi-platinum in Ireland, Norway and France.
5. He makes his U.S. late-night television debuts on James Corden's The Late Late Show and Jimmy Kimmel Live.
There's no better way to cement your status as a global superstar than performing in the company of late-night TV royalty.
6. Gavin joins Ed Sheeran on tour.
The best way to enter the world of arena shows is alongside veterans, and who better than another breakout singer-songwriter like Ed Sheeran?
7. He headlines his first arena show at Dublin's 3Arena.
It's fitting that his first huge headline show is back in Gavin's home of Dublin. In December 2015, he takes the stage solo, hot on the heels of Bitter Pill's success.
8. Sophomore album Only Ticket Home is released.
It's no easy feat to follow up such a successful debut album, but Gavin's got a knack for exceeding expectations. Revisit our review here.
9. Gavin reaches one billion streams on Spotify.
By this point, it's 2019 and the momentum hasn't stopped. Now with two full-lengths under his belt, the only way is up as he joins the elite one-billion-stream list.
10. He makes a triumphant sold-out return to Dublin's 3Arena.
OK, OK, this one may not have happened yet, but selling out 3Arena with days left before the show is no easy feat. Check the website after this weekend for Hot Press' official coverage of what's bound to be one of the best shows of the year.