- Lifestyle & Sports
- 01 Jun 22
Disney and Ewan McGregor condemn racist abuse sent to Obi-Wan Kenobi star Moses Ingram
Ingram has revealed some of the deeply abusive messages she’s received after debuting in the Star Wars show, saying ‘there’s nothing anybody can do to stop this hate'.
Ewan McGregor has issued a strong statement condemning the abuse, his co-star, Moses Ingram receives after she revealed she has received 'hundreds' of racist messages since appearing in the new Star Wars show.
The actor, who plays Reva Sevander in the new Disney+ series, shared a few examples of the abuse directed to her via Instagram.
“There’s nothing anybody can do about this,” Ingram said in an Instagram video. “There’s nothing anybody can do to stop this hate. I question my purpose in even being here in front of you saying that this is happening. I don’t really know.”
“The thing that bothers me is this feeling inside of myself, that no one has told me, but this feeling that I have to shut up and take it, that I have to grin and bear it. And I’m not built like that. So, I wanted to come on and say thank you to the people who show up for me in the comments and the places that I’m not going to put myself. And to the rest of y’all, y’all weird.”
On Tuesday night, a video message from McGregor was shared on the official Star Wars Twitter account, in which he strongly condemned the abuse.
A personal message from Ewan McGregor. pic.twitter.com/rJSDmj663K
— Star Wars (@starwars) June 1, 2022
He reiterated the fact that if you're sending racist messages, "you are no fan of Star Wars."
“I just want to say, as the lead actor in the series, as the executive producer on the series, that we stand with Moses. We love Moses. And if you’re sending her bullying messages, you’re no Star Wars fan in my mind. There’s no place for racism in this world. And I totally stand with Moses," he declared.
The official Twitter account for Star Wars also took to Twitter in support of Moses.
We are proud to welcome Moses Ingram to the Star Wars family and excited for Reva’s story to unfold. If anyone intends to make her feel in any way unwelcome, we have only one thing to say: we resist. pic.twitter.com/lZW0yvseBk
— Star Wars (@starwars) May 31, 2022
Star Wars actors Kelly Marie Tran and John Boyega also endured racist abuse from fans after they were cast in the sequel trilogy.
Moses posted: "The love is louder. It overflows. Thank you" to her Instgram story today, in response to the overwhelming suport she received.
Obi-Wan Kenobi has been a huge success so far, becoming Disney+’s most-watched premiere for an original series.
RELATED
- Lifestyle & Sports
- 28 Aug 25
The Little Coffee Hut at Electric Picnic: Glorious coffee, hot food, delicious açaí bowls and more
- Lifestyle & Sports
- 27 Aug 25
Lala Poutine at Electric Picnic: Hand-cut chips in rich gravy, topped off with delicious cheese curds
RELATED
- Lifestyle & Sports
- 22 Aug 25
Bohemian F.C. announce Gaza fundraising market this weekend and new charity shirt
- Lifestyle & Sports
- 22 Aug 25
Minding Creative Minds to hold August meet and greet
- Lifestyle & Sports
- 21 Aug 25
GAA players call for Croke Park to drop Allianz sponsorship
- Lifestyle & Sports
- 20 Aug 25