- 07 Dec 21
Several victims’ families rejected Scott’s offer to pay for their loved ones’ funeral expenses.
Travis Scott has filed requests to be dismissed from multiple lawsuits levelled against him in the wake of the Astroworld festival tragedy, which saw 10 people lose their lives.
The rapper has been named in nearly every one of the almost 300 lawsuits filed in Harris County after hundreds were injured and 10 died last month when crowds rushed to the stage toward the start of Scott’s headline set.
A spokesperson for Scott told Rolling Stone that the rapper “is not legally liable” for the tragedy. Scott has denied all the allegations set against him in 11 different lawsuits and his representative added that he will most likely file more dismissal requests.
The news follows Live Nation and its subsidiary ScoreMore, Astroworld’s promoters yesterday denying all the allegations against them in filed documents. The Harris County Sports and Convention Corporation, which owns venue NRG Park where Astroworld was held, did not request for dismissal, interestingly.
Due to the huge volume of lawsuits and the complexity of legal proceedings, attorneys have filed a joint motion to Texas’ Supreme court to consolidate the cases to one judge.
Houston Police Department and claimants’ attorneys are continuing to gather information as part of their respective investigations into the reasons why the festival turned fatal. This, in turn, will reportedly help them determine who is most culpable.
Lawyer Ben Crump is representing several attendees, including the family of nine-year-old Ezra Blount who was killed at the festival. Crump has targeted Live Nation in particular for having responsibility as the largest show promoter in the world.
It follows multiple victims’ families rejecting Scott’s offer to pay for their loved ones’ funeral expenses.
Richard Mithoff, attorney for the family of 14-year-old victim John Hilgert who recently filed a lawsuit against the rapper over the tragedy, said the offer was “demeaning and really inappropriate”.
“It was not an offer the Hilgerts were going to seriously consider,” Mithoff told Rolling Stone.
“Of all the things this case is about, that’s the least of any concern. This family is set on making change, and ensuring this never happens at a concert again.”
Further controversy arrived as Hulu released a documentary on the Astroworld tragedy in just three weeks.
Hulu making a documentary about Astroworld is in poor taste all around.
People are still burying their loved ones. The legal cases haven’t even started.
Great documentaries are done when all the facts are laid out. Not enough time has passed to fully discuss this.
— Hater Ackerman (@LilAioli) December 2, 2021