- 17 Mar 08
Bell X1 had a narrow escape on Saturday March 15 when their tour bus caught fire outside the Medford, Massachusetts hotel they were staying in.
Having been called to the scene shortly after 3.30am, it took fire fighters 90 minutes to put out the blaze, which started in the bus’ ventilation/air-conditioning unit and caused an estimated $50,000 worth of damage.
Talking to local newspaper The Boston Herald, the band’s tour manager Foyce Johnson said: “The guys were basically around the bus, which was a good thing because we were able to get all the equipment and instruments out. We’re in the middle of the band’s first tour of America and to lose your gear would be a real problem.”
After grabbing a few hours’ sleep, it was off in a replacement vehicle to New York where the chaps played a sell-out show in the Bowery Ballroom.
St. Patrick’s Day finds them appearing on The Late Show With David Letterman alongside Juno actor Rainn Wilson and comedy duo Mike Golic and Mike Greenberg.
Also having a rather incendiary time of things on Saturday was Dublin’s Village venue, which had to be evacuated at 1.15am when a fire broke out inside the front door.
It took seven minutes to get the 800 people who were inside at the time out, and a further hour for five units of the Dublin Fire Brigade to deal with the blaze.
Initial indications are that it was caused by an electrical fault.