- 11 Jul 22
Martin Beanz Warde (pictured), Willzee and more are set to perform as part of the Traveller Pride Week events.
Kicking off today, July 11, Traveller Pride Week is back – with a wide-ranging programme of events planned across the country.
Workshops, family fun days, shows, ceremonies, performances and more are set to take place from July 11 to July 24, as the programme of events aims to embrace "a modern Traveller culture, with creativity in our roots." The Traveller Pride Week celebrations are made up of both National Traveller Pride Week events (from July 11), and Local Traveller Pride Week events (from July 18).
Tomorrow, July 12, the 11th Traveller Pride Awards Ceremony is set to take place at the Lighthouse Cinema in Dublin – recognising and highlighting the achievements of Irish Travellers in their communities and beyond.
Other highlights of the week include a performance of The Dead House by Martin Beanz Warde at Hawk's Well Theatre in Sligo on July 18, which tells the tale of "one family in the west of Ireland and the return home of a son who is alienated from their traditions after years of deliberate absence." Tickets are available here.
As part of #TravellerPrideWeek@SligoTraveller Hosts
The Dead House
by Martin Beanz Warde
On the day of an Irish wake, family stories resurface that have lain dormant for years.
Mon 18 July 8pm
Book your free ticket here>> https://t.co/3t7AjBHYji#Sligo #Theatre pic.twitter.com/P1HE5dEp1l
— Hawk's Well Theatre (@HawksWellSligo) July 8, 2022
On July 22, young Travellers from Mayo will join forces with rapper and spoken word artist Willzee for R.I.S.E. at the Linenhall Arts Centre in Castlebar, Co. Mayo. Together, they'll "explore both traditional and contemporary Traveller music and musicians, culminating in a performance."
You can also look forward to:
- Kilkenny Traveller Pride – July 19th (Kilkenny Castle) & 22nd (Butler Gallery)
- Ballyfermot Traveller Pride Family Day - Family Resource Centre, Lynch's Lane, Ballyfermot – July 23rd
- Traveller Living History visits – Windtown, Navan, Co. Meath – July 13th
- Photographic exhibition of traditional Traveller crafts and film launch – Grange Community Centre, Mullingar – July 22nd
- Traveller Pride Family Fun Day – Charleville Castle, Tullamore, Co. Offaly – July 23rd
- Traveller Culture and Craft Celebration – Bloom HQ, Mounthrath – July 20th
- Traveller Music and Culture Celebration, Old and New – The Central Music Venue, Trimgate St, Navan – July 15th
- Expressing our Cultural Creativity – Blanchardstown Traveller Development Group – July 18th to 21st
- Wicklow Travellers Group connecting cultures and sparking creativity – Crinion Park, Wicklow – July 18th to 22nd
- From castles to wagons: A Traveller History – Institute of Art Design and Technology – July 4th to 14th
- Traveller Culture Open Day – Involve Youth Service, Ballina – July 18th
- Celebrating Traveller Ethnicity – Galway Traveller Movement – July 18th to 22nd
- Traveller Pride Westtrav Tuam – Western Traveller & Intercultural Development & Bru Bhride, Tuam – July 20th to 22nd
- Traveller Heritage youth work sessions – Youth Work Ireland (Loughrea) – July 19th to 21st
- Traveller Pride Week at the Westside Youth Project – Corrach Buí Community Centre, Rahoon, Co. Galway – July 18th to 22nd
- Expression through CANT: Traveller Pride canvas artwork exhibition – Involve Youth Service, Ballinasloe, Loughrea and Salthill – July 20th to 22nd
- Youth Work Ireland Galway Traveller Pride Week – Ballinasloe, Co. Galway – July 18th to 20th
- Leitrim Traveller Project Beady Pocket Worskhops – Leitrim Traveller Project Shannonside Community Centre – July 13th & 20th
- Kerry Travellers Pride in Creativity – Killarney, Tralee, Listowel – July 18th to 22nd
- North Tipperary Pride Week 2022 – Nenagh Arts Centre – July 18th & 19th
- Tin-Smith Demonstration and Workshop – Mincéirí Port Láirge, Waterford – July 20
- Traveller Intergenerational Creativity Exhibition at the Hunt Museum – Cois na hAbhna, Ennis, Co. Claire – July 21st
- Travellers of North Cork Traveller Pride Week Celebrations – Charleville Library, Cork – July 18th to 22nd
- Family Fun Day: A Celebration of Traveller women's leadership by Cork Traveller Visibility Group – Fitzgerald's Park, Cork – July 20th
- Traveller Culture Celebration Festival, West Cork Travellers – Rosa Park, Skibbereen (July 20th); Kennedy Park, Clonakilty (July 21st)
- Traveller Pride Culture and Storytelling event – Traveller Halting Site in Gortakeegan – July 20th
See the Traveller Pride Week programme here.
- Film & TV
- 24 Mar 23
- Film & TV
- 23 Mar 23