- 04 Jul 18
McKeown, along with Conor Linehan and Craig Cox, will be performing free concerts between July and September
Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council have named Susan McKeown, Conor Linehan and Craig Cox as artists for their Musician-in-Residence scheme.
The purpose of the residencies is so the wider community can gain insight into the creative process. Each musician will create an online video diary where they will talk about their progress throughout the residences.
The project will culminate in a series of free concerts at the dlr LexIcon Studio and Library from July to September.
Grammy award‐winning and BBC Folk Music Award nominated vocalist and songwriter Susan McKeown will perform a series of songs about her experience as a woman living in Dún Laoghaire Rathdown today, taking inspiration from her own life and everyday encounters with people in the town. Her gigs will take place July 29 and September 6.
Pianist and composer Conor Linehan will perform a concert on September 16. The show will include an advance listen of work in progress 'Madame Violante's Commodious Booth' and a piece for piano based on Ravel's cycle 'Le Tombeau de Couperin' featuring dancer Emma O'Kane.
On September 30, Linehan will also present a concert for violin and piano with Oonagh Keogh which will include a new piece based on and incorporating interviews with friends and family around growing up in Blackrock in the 70s and 80s.
Sound artist and composer Craig Cox will perform a new work inspired by and incorporating the incidental rhythms and percussive sounds made by the inhabitants of the area. Meanwhile. composers Nikki Sheth and Aurelie Ferriere will also present intriguing spatial compositions as part of the concert programme on September 13.
The scheme is jointly funded by the Arts Council.
For the list of concert dates, see below. Tickets can be booked at musicnetwork.ie/concerts.
- Sunday 29th July, 2pm - Susan McKeown (voice), Ger Kiely (guitar) and Trevor Hutchinson (double bass) - dlr LexIcon, Dún Laoghaire, Dublin - Free
- Thursday 6th September, 7pm - Susan McKeown (voice), Ger Kiely (guitar) and Trevor Hutchinson (double bass) - dlr LexIcon, Dún Laoghaire, Dublin - Free
- Thursday 13th September, 7pm - Craig Cox (violin & electronics), Aoife Hammond (guitar), Sebastian Jezzi (drums), Nikki Sheth (sound artist), Aurelie Ferriere (sound artist) - dlr LexIcon, Dún Laoghaire, Dublin - Free
- Sunday 16th September, 2pm - Conor Linehan (piano), Emma O'Kane (dancer) - dlr LexIcon, Dún Laoghaire, Dublin - Free
- Sunday 30th September, 2pm - Conor Linehan (piano) and Oonagh Keogh (violin) - dlr LexIcon, Dún Laoghaire, Dublin - Free