- 09 Aug 19
The soundtrack to Blinded By The Light includes Springsteen classics as well as new songs.
Blinded By The Light tells the real life inspired story of British-Pakistani teen Javed through the lyrics and music of Bruce Springsteen. Naturally, the soundtrack, which is out today, plays a big part in the movie.
Blinded By The Light: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack brings together 12 essential Bruce Springsteen performances ranging from greatest hits and fan favorites ('Born To Run', 'Dancing In The Dark', 'Hungry Heart', 'Because The Night') to previously unreleased tracks, including the long-sought-after studio recording of 'I'll Stand By You', which is available now through all digital service providers.
Also, for the first time on album, the soundtrack presents two live rarities: the debut live performance of 'The River' (from No Nukes '79 - Madison Square Garden, NYC - September 21, 1979) and an unforgettable acoustic solo performance of 'The Promised Land' (Concert for Valor - The National Mall, Washington DC, November 11, 2014).
In addition to the Springsteen performances, the album includes period tracks and dialog from the film and premieres 'For You My Love', a new song written for the film by soundtrack composer A.R. Rahman (Slumdog Millionaire).
For our latest issue, Roe McDermott chatted with Blinded By The Light director Gurinder Chadha about the film: "The job was really about taking Bruce's lyrics and making them a part of the script. We had to ensure this wasn't just a jukebox musical - we had to make the songs an integral part of the film".
That said, Springsteen's lyrics worked well as the guiding line to tell the story of self-discovery and growing up: "There are so many messages in Bruce's music about how to live life - with struggle. That's the thing. It's never cheesy. He's saying that life is hard, there's a lot of injustice, but within that, you can find your way", Chadha explains.
See the complete tracklisting of Blinded By The Light: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack down below:
- Ode To Javed/Javed's Poem – A.R. Rahman
- It's a Sin – Pet Shop Boys
- The Sun Always Shines On T.V. – a-ha
- "The Boss Of Us All" (dialogue)
- Dancing In The Dark – Bruce Springsteen
- "You Should Be Listening To Our Music" (dialogue)
- "I Never Knew Music Could Be Like This" (dialogue)
- The River – Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band (Live at Madison Square Garden, New York, NY – September 21, 1979) (previously unavailable on an album)
- "Number One Paki Film" (dialogue)
- Badlands – Bruce Springsteen
- Cover Me – Bruce Springsteen
- Thunder Road– Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band (Live at The Roxy Theater, West Hollywood, CA – October 18, 1975)
- Get Outta My Way Fascist Pigs – Amer Chadha-Patel
- "Do It For Me" (dialogue)
- Prove It All Night – Bruce Springsteen
- Hungry Heart – Bruce Springsteen
- "You, Me and Bruce" (dialogue)
- Because The Night – Bruce Springsteen
- Maar Chadapa – Heera
- The Promised Land - Bruce Springsteen (Live on The National Mall, Washington, D.C. – November 11, 2014)
- Blinded By The Light – Bruce Springsteen
- Born To Run – Bruce Springsteen
- I'll Stand By You – Bruce Springsteen (previously unreleased studio recording)
- For You My Love – A.R. Rahman (new original song for film)