- Film And TV
- 03 Oct 24
Doctor pleads guilty in connection with Matthew Perry’s death
Dr Mark Chavez is one of five people who have been charged in connection with the actor’s death.
One of two doctors charged in connection with Matthew Perry's death has pleaded guilty to a charge of illegally distributing the drug ketamine.
Dr Mark Chavez entered the plea in a Los Angeles court on Wednesday. He could face up to 10-years in prison.
The 54-year-old is the third person to accept charges following the actor’s death in October 2023 from “acute effects” of Ketamine. Kenneth Iwasama, Perry’s live-in assistant, already admitted to injecting the drug, while the alleged middleman also pleaded guilty.
Dr Salavdor Plasencia, another physician charged in the case, has pleaded not guilty – as has co-defendant Jasveen Sangha, who authorities said was an illicit supplier of the drug. They are set to face a trial on March 4 next year.
Chavez's lawyer, Matthew Binninger, said after his first court appearance in August that he is "incredibly remorseful" and is "trying to do everything in his power to right the wrong that happened here".
According to authorities, Dr Plasencia purchased ketamine from Dr Chavez, and wrote in a text message to his colleague: "I wonder how much this moron will pay."
Perry had been seeking treatment for depression and anxiety when he became addicted to intravenous ketamine last autumn.
RELATED
- Film And TV
- 29 Aug 25
FILM OF THE WEEK Caught Stealing - Reviewed by Roe McDermott
- Film And TV
- 29 Aug 25
Irish actor Flynn Gray joins cast of upcoming Star Wars film
RELATED
- Film And TV
- 27 Aug 25
Trailer released for Hamnet starring Jessie Buckley and Paul Mescal
- Film And TV
- 26 Aug 25
Jenna Ortega: "Everything about Ireland was so beautiful"
- Film And TV
- 25 Aug 25
Woody Allen faces backlash following participation in Moscow International Film Week
- Film And TV
- 22 Aug 25