Hot on the heels of winning his Golden Globe award for best actor in 'The Disaster Artist', there's been a flurry of graphic sexual misconduct allegations made on social media against the Hollywood star.
The wave of allegations went so far as to even prompt The New York Times to cancel a James Franco Q&A event at the last minute yesterday to promote his new movie.
The paper of record said in a statement yesterday: “Given the controversy surrounding recent allegations, we’re no longer comfortable proceeding in that vein.”
One young woman, Violet Paley, claims that Franco tried to force her to perform fellatio on him in a parked car.
She wrote: "Remember the time you pushed my head down in a car towards your exposed penis & that other time you told my friend to come to your hotel when she was 17? After you had already been caught doing that to a different 17 year old?"
Franco has also been accused by Violet and others on social media of being a hypocrite for wearing a "Time's Up" pin to highlight the wave of sex scandals that have hit Hollywood.
Cute #TIMESUP pin James Franco. Remember the time you pushed my head down in a car towards your exposed penis & that other time you told my friend to come to your hotel when she was 17? After you had already been caught doing that to a different 17 year old?— Violet Paley (@VioletPaley) January 8, 2018
Violet Paley also claimed that James Franco reached out to her and a “few other girls” recently to offer “an overdue, annoyed, convenient phone ‘apology'”.
An uncomfortable looking Franco spoke about the allegations during an interview on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert.
He said:“The things that I heard that went on Twitter are not accurate, but I completely support people coming out and being able to have a voice because they didn’t have a voice for so long
“I don’t want to shut them down in any way. I don’t want to shut them down in any way. I think it’s a good thing and I support it.”
You can watch James Franco's full answer to the allegations here: