- 21 Jan 21
The festival was axed last year due to the pandemic as well, making this the second consecutive year that the festival will not be running.
This afternoon (January 21st), the organisers of Glastonbury released a statement saying the festival would be cancelled for the 2021 year, due to the Coronavirus pandemic.
Michael and Emily Eavis said "with great regret, we must announce that this year's Glastonbury Festival will not take place, and that this will be another enforced fallow year for us." They reassured ticket holders from both the 2020 festival and the 2021 festival that they would be ensured a place at Glastonbury 2022, but it will come as little comfort to those looking forward to returning to a more normal way of life this year.
With great regret, we must announce that this year’s Glastonbury Festival will not take place, and that this will be another enforced fallow year for us. Tickets for this year will roll over to next year. Full statement below and on our website. Michael & Emily pic.twitter.com/SlNdwA2tHd
— Glastonbury Festival (@glastonbury) January 21, 2021
“In spite of our efforts to move Heaven & Earth, it has become clear that we simply will not be able to make the Festival happen this year. We are so sorry to let you all down," the statement continued.
The line-up for Glastonbury 2021 had been kept under wraps at the time of its cancellation, but this year’s festival had been set to go ahead from June 23-27.
The news that Glastonbury 2021 is officially cancelled has rocked the entertainment world, drawing sympathy from the likes of performers and industry workers across the board.
MP Julian Knight, who is chairing the DCMS committee overseeing an inquiry into the fate of music festivals during the pandemic, said on Twitter the news was “devastating” for the festival industry.
“We have repeatedly called for ministers to act to protect our world-renowned festivals like this one with a government-backed insurance scheme," he said.
"Our plea fell on deaf ears and now the chickens have come home to roost. The jewel in the crown will be absent but surely the government cannot ignore the message any longer – it must act now to save this vibrant and vital festivals sector.”
The news that Glastonbury 2021 is officially cancelled will come as a heavy blow to the entertainment world.
DJ and radio presenter Annie Mac said, "sending love to Michael, Emily and the huge team who help to produce Glastonbury every year."
— Annie Mac (@anniemacmanus) January 21, 2021
Writer and activist Caitlin Moran said, "this is such sad news."
This is such sad news - and also slightly frustrating that there was no government help to ensure Britain's greatest cultural soft-power event, broadcast to the entire nation, with a medically-prescribed headline set from Paul McCartney, in a post lockdown summer. Sigh. https://t.co/LjS4pbVKM0
— Caitlin Moran (@caitlinmoran) January 21, 2021
Irish photographer Ruth Medjber said: "Heartbroken. I got to shoot the Pyramid stage for the BBC in 2019. It was my 10th year at the fest but my first to work at. Glasto is my spiritual home, my happy place, my mindfulness zone, my temple, my pilgrimage."
Heartbroken. #Glastonbury 🖤⚡ I got to shoot the Pyramid stage for the BBC in 2019. It was my 10th year at the fest but my first to work at. 📷 Glasto is my spiritual home, my happy place, my mindfulness zone, my temple, my pilgrimage. I'm heartbroken, but still hopeful. X pic.twitter.com/NBKJa1S1Fa
— Ruth Medjber 📸❤️🌙 (@ruthlessimagery) January 21, 2021