not a member? click here to sign up

the hotpress.com messageboard [ back to topic list ]
SGT. PEPPER’S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND
As you all know, SGT. PEPPER’S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND was officially released on June 1st, 1967, and celebrates its 50th anniversary this week. (It was actually available to buy in some record shops in London from May 26th, 1967, but let’s not fall out over a few days.)

Anyway... on Monday night I had to do an interview about SGT. PEPPER’S – so last Friday at work I decided to print off a quote from ‘It’s Getting Better All The Time’ – just to show that the album has some dark moments.

So I sent the quote to the network printer shared by the whole office. The quote printed out at the printer at 3.50pm – but I was busy with work – and I stupidly didn’t remember to collect it until 6.30pm.

So for almost three hours – the sheet was sitting on the office printer for everyone to see.

The sheet in question stated that I sent it and when I sent it.
It had the subject line ‘It’s getting better’… and the text read…

I used to be cruel to my woman
I beat her and kept her apart from the things that she loved
Man I was mean but I'm changing my scene
And I'm doing the best that I can

I suspect that not many people in my office will know that song – and I can only imagine what they must think of me now! I mean what kind of a wife beating psycho writes something like that and sends it to a shared printer for everyone to read?

I’m basically waiting for the call from HR now.

PS – I didn’t even get to use the quote in the feckin’ interview!
-- skennedy 
31/05/17 at 09:52 
  [ Login to post a message. ]  

Poor Mrs K! Why is she still with you? (Oh yeah... you're changing your scene and you're doing the best that you can.

But also, Merry Anniversary to the album...
Was that John admitting to beating Cynthia, I wonder.
John hit Cynthia while they were at Art College – and she broke up with him for a few months because of it. She went back to him after he promised he would never hit her again. He kept his word.

He also struck Thelma Pickles when he was going out with her. She broke up with him after that and didn’t go back.

John Lennon claimed that he didn’t discover his ‘feminist’ side until he met Yoko Ono.
I have my original pressing of the album and was playing it loudly today. Windows open. Similar to when the record got it's first ever airing in 1967 prior to it's release.

It's not my favourite album (The White Album has that place), but it's incredibly powerful and has all of the emotions for one's life encapsulated on a piece of wax. Phenomenal.
Bit of a temper on old John, alright. But he gave peace a chance in the end.
For me, quote of the weekend was the innocently asked question "Are they The Beatles?" by some little girl on Gogglesprogs about Take Take.
Jumpin’ Jesus on a pogo stick!

What sort of parents has that poor child?

In cases like that social services really should intervene.

[ Login to post a message. ]

[ Back to topic list ]

best of ireland

Contact Us

Hot Press,
13 Trinity Street,
Dublin 2.
Rep. Of Ireland
Tel: +353 (1) 241 1500

Email:info@hotpress.ie

Click here for more contact information.

Click here to find out more about Hot Press

Hot Press always welcomes feed back so if you've got something to tell us click here.

Advertise With Us

For more detail on how to advertise with Hot Press click here or call us on +353 (1) 241 1540